What mouse pad for gaming?

KBEARS 13:46 16 Jun 05

Have just recently discovered that mouse pads can make a big difference, if so, how much of a difference?
Have heard of a pad seemingly used by Pro gamers called Ratpadz. Has anyone used these before or will any non shiny hard shell pad be just as good?
I use a wired intelimouse (optical) and run win xp. New pad will be used for online gaming and general web surfing.

€dstowe 14:45 16 Jun 05

I use a piece of white card or paper as a mouse mat - it doubles up as a doodle pad and when it's grubby, I throw it away and use another piece.

I don't see the point of spending money on fancy pads and mats.

(I use wired and wireless rodents but they are all optical ones)

Jdoki 14:59 16 Jun 05

Best on the market is the Razer Exact mousepad, can be bought on it's own, or with a nice wrist wrest, but be prepared to hunt around for them and pay anything up to 40quid (yep 40quid for a mousemat and wristwrest - or up to 25quid for just the mat)!!

I use a Steelpad 4D - it's plastic (rather than the Razer's aluminium), but does have a smooth side for quick movements and a rough side for more precise graphics work. It comes with a rubberised mat that sits on the desk and stops the mat sliding about - you just flip the plastic pad over depending on your needs.

It's extremely good, and if you buy it from Maplin (click here) much cheaper than anywhere else.

For me the difference between the Steelpad and the Razer Exactmat was not big enough to justify the extra cost. However the difference between a normal mat and the Steelpad was great enough to justify the 8 to 11 quid cost.

Also, the Steelpad comes with a couple of strips of teflon tape to put over the 'feet' on your mouse, improving the smoothness further.

The Steelpad 4D coupled with my Logitech MX518 made a huge difference, especially in FPS games.

Lead 02:14 17 Jun 05

I've tired several 'gamer specific' pads varying in price from £10 to £30 and have come to the conclusion they're not worth it.

The best one's performance started to deteriorate after 9 months and it eventually got binned after 12.

I've come to the conclusion it's better to buy a cheaper pad and replace it every 6 months - it's cheaper in the long term and you have the benefits of a new pad, more often.

Lead 02:19 17 Jun 05

If you want to try some performance mats, take a look here:

click here

KBEARS 14:09 17 Jun 05

Thanks for the info all!
Plenty food for thought there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…