What mini photo printer

stlucia 13:09 15 Sep 05

I'm considering buying a mini 6x4 photo printer to take with me when I visit the in-laws. They have no PC, so I want a printer that will print direct from SD card and have the facility to re-size or crop shots before printing them.

I'm attracted by a small Canon printer which uses some kind of a ribbon, instead of ink, because (a) it's very small and (b) it's presumably spill-proof for carrying in luggage (the in-laws are an 11-hour plane-flight away). I've read the reviews (seem to be good), but does anyone have actual experience -- good or bad -- please?

pj123 14:35 15 Sep 05

Do you have a Model number?

stlucia 15:48 15 Sep 05

Selphy CP710 seems to be the one that would suit me because (a) it prints direct from a card and (b) it doesn't use conventional ink.

pj123 16:10 15 Sep 05

Where did you see this model? Everywhere I have looked all I get is this model is not available anymore.

But there are others of the same type.

click here

stlucia 16:31 15 Sep 05

Canon UK site click here

But any experiences of any of the Selphy dye-sublimation thermal transfer printers would be appreciated. Are they the same or better quality than the "normal" inkjet photo printers?

pj123 17:07 15 Sep 05

Sorry, your link didn't work.

I can tell you that dye-sublimation is far superior to inkjet but is also much more expensive.

Curio 19:11 15 Sep 05

I have a HiTi 630PL. This works by dye-sublimation and produces cracking 6" X 4" pics.
The newer models have Card Readers, so don't need a PC. Uses special casette and paper and works out at about 30p a print. Not what I would call excessive.click here Would say it is reasonably portable

stlucia 19:53 15 Sep 05

Strange, the link works for me pj123. It's http: //click here Direct_Photo/SELPHY_CP710/ with the extra 2 spaces taken out.

Thanks for your vote for dye sublimation, Curio.

Totally-braindead 20:13 15 Sep 05

The link worked for me, the only concern I would have is the running costs, before I bought it I would check to see how many prints you get from a cartridge and how much they cost, my niece got a printer bundled with her camera, gives really excellent pictures but it costs a fortune to run.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…