What makes for a fast computer

ordep 10:35 18 Jan 09

Purchased a new computer 10 months ago from Cougar, cost £800 so a descent bit of kit. Its slowed right down in that time to a crawl. I take the usual precautions, ie AVG CCleaner Zonealarm Spybot etc, I'm very careful who I give my details out to
yet as I say very very slow.

I've reinstalled Vista yesterday, now its flying along again. Have I to do a reinstall ever 10 months or so to keep in shape. As I say, I really don't understand how after only a short time it can become soooo slow.

pcmags 10:43 18 Jan 09

CPU speed & RAM?

ordep 11:02 18 Jan 09

Hi pcmags
Here's the info you asked for.

Intel(R)core(TM)2DuoCPU [email protected] 2.67 GHz
RAM 2046 MB

Pine Man 11:03 18 Jan 09

Computers do get clogged up with loads of stuff over time despite good housekeeping.

As it's working ok now have you considered something like Acronis True Image to create an image of your fresh new installation with all of your software and settings so that next time you feel things are slowing down you can install the image rather than a completely re-installing your o/s and all of the necessary drivers and software?

It's also very useful if the whole lot goes 'belly up'. You'll be up and running again within about 20 minutes.

Clapton is God 11:14 18 Jan 09

You don't say if you've done any basic housekeeping or not.

Use click here to get rid of all the built up crap, defrag the HDD and use msconfig to disable all those processes and programs which run in the background but which you DON'T need.

This will help you to decide those which you can disable click here

Clapton is God 11:16 18 Jan 09

Oh, and uninstall all those programs which might be interesting but which you never use

Pine Man 11:28 18 Jan 09

'You don't say if you've done any basic housekeeping or not.'

A fresh install of Vista has been carried out.

Clapton is God 11:42 18 Jan 09

"A fresh install of Vista has been carried out"

Oops, just noticed that. Must learn to read ALL of a post before applying fingers to keyboard. ;-))

Nevertheless my suggestions for basic housekeeping, on a regular basis, still apply.

Colin 11:44 18 Jan 09

Doing a reinstall every 10 months or so is not unusual if you want to get the as new feeling back. Uninstalling programmes, using CCleaner etc can never get your PC back to its original state. I do mine about every 8 to 10 months and, depending on what you have to reload onto your PC, takes a few hours. I enjoy it, too!

AL47 12:18 18 Jan 09

As it's working ok now have you considered something like Acronis True Image to create an image of your fresh new installation with all of your software and settings

that is such a good idea, i never thought to do that before

sunnystaines 12:24 18 Jan 09

did you ever run chkdsk and defrag.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac