What to look for in a PSU?

cbradley857 20:59 21 Nov 07

im looking for a PSU for my computer - what should i look for -
i know i need at least a 450Watt PSU with a 24 pin connecter, but is there anything else i need to look out for?

FungusBoggieman 21:28 21 Nov 07

go fo a 550 watt one the silent runnig

cbradley857 21:33 21 Nov 07

yeah but do i have to look for a specific voltage/ amperage?

Totally-braindead 21:36 21 Nov 07

Your other thread click here

I downloaded this manual click here and that is why I thought it was a Radeon 7000 as thats what appears on page 12 where it tells you about the graphics. I obviously have that wrong and you have onboard graphics.

If your PC has an AGP slot then you can add any AGP graphics card you wish to it. But you have to check what power supply you have by looking at the power supply and reading the label for the wattage. If it is above the minimum needed for a graphics card then thats fine it will work. If not you need to buy a more powerful one.

If you can get a modular one then thats great, its the same as a standard one but you can physically remove the cables you don't need and that makes it easier to fit and because theres less cables cluttering up the place its better for the cooling.

Get a branded one and I would say get at least a 550 watt one. And to answer the question on your other thread the PC takes the power it needs, it does not take the full wattage all the time so if you did want to, and theres no point but just to clarify, if you wanted to you could put in a 800 or 1000 watt power supply.

I only suggest a 550 watt one to give you some extra to play with. If your chosen graphics card needed a 420 watt power supply and you fitted a 420 watt power supply then you would be stressing the power supply as it would sometimes be working at its maximum. Better to go for a higher rated one than you need and allow it to run at idle if you get my drift.

cbradley857 21:46 21 Nov 07

im planning to get this click here

how can i tell if this is a Modular one

cbradley857 21:47 21 Nov 07

also, could there be a shortage of leads on a non-modular one?

cbradley857 22:20 21 Nov 07

i just read that i cant afford modular...thanks though

Totally-braindead 00:33 22 Nov 07

Its up to you of course, if you can't afford a modular power supply then get one that isn't modular - to answer your question if its modular it will tell you in the specification. Regardless of this I would strongly recommend a branded power supply, they are better quality, provide a more stable current and will last longer. You should be able to get a branded one about 500 watts for around the £40 mark.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…