What is the latest Windows XP home version please

Never again 12:17 05 May 04

Hi

I was thinking about upgrading to win xp home from me, and wanted to buy the latest version im order to save some download time, etc.

The latest version in the shops that I can find is listed as 2002 version.

Is this the newest and what versions have there been.

Thanks

Sir Radfordin 12:32 05 May 04

There has only been one version of Windows XP Home. Service Pack 1 was released more than a year ago and should now be included with any upgrade version you buy. Service Pack 2 is being tested at the moment, and may be released soon. However I wouldn't hold off buying XP on that basis, it is more than likely that SP2 (like SP1 before it) will be available direct from MS on CD with little charge.

Never again 12:38 05 May 04

Thanks

How can I tell if this 2002 version contains the sp1 if it doesn't say on the box.

I had a bad experience once buying software from pc world as they sold me an older version of a product when I had asked specifically for the latest version, and had a hell of a job getting it exchanged.

Sir Radfordin 12:51 05 May 04

Haven't checked but would be surprised if it didn't say on the box that it included SP1. Even with SP1 there are still going to be a fair few critical patches that will need to be downloaded and installed.

Never again 12:56 05 May 04

I'm off to inspect a box then.

I'll let you know later.

Thanks

mikef. 18:42 05 May 04

Also to save you downloading all the security updates since then you can order a Free CD from them with them all on. click here

Forum Editor 18:49 05 May 04

is very close to release now - I'm using the release candidate at the moment, and I doubt that there'll be any significant changes before it goes public. As Sir Radfordin says - there's no reason to delay a purchase because of the impending release, you'll be able to get SP2 in at least two ways, and possibly more - all of them free.

Forum Editor 19:05 05 May 04

I'm sorry - I did of course mean WindowsXP

rickimalone 22:11 05 May 04

I bought Windows XP service pack 1 OEM for £60 from click here under software..

Never again 19:57 07 May 04

Thanks for all your replies.

I still have not bitten the bullet as my modem is incompatible with xp along with my usb hub and photo reader card, which probably all just need updated drivers.

The box in pc world did not mention any service pack and so the posting from rickimalone above will eventually be very useful.

Thanks again everyone.

byfordr 20:02 07 May 04

I thought they were talking several months for SP2. I thought ms were still ironing out the bugs?

R

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…