What Laptop your Expertise Required

whirlbut 08:40 01 Jul 04

I’m looking to buy a new laptop and as I’m a technophobe and know very little about laptops I’m asking for imput from the abundant expertise out there.

I travel a lot so it must be reasonably light, but I don’t want to lose the 14” – 15” screen size. I have been recommended that I get Windows XP pro but I don’t know if this is a necessity.

It will mainly be used for the usual office spreadsheets and word processing functions along with Games and downloading digital camera and video footage to write to DVD. (Home movies and that sort of sad stuff.)

I’ve been looking at the following three models

Sony Vaio PCG-Z1XGP
HP Compaq NX7010
Fujitsu Siemens Amilo M1420

I currently like the Sony because it has direct write to DVD from the firewire and comes complete with a Adobe premiere 6LE video-editing suite and Adobe photoshop elements.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated, and I’m still open to any model or make so please make suggestions as well.

mdshamilton 13:19 01 Jul 04

My 62 year old mother loves her Sony Vaio. There isn't a lot of difference between laptops - best bet is to find a large retailer and go have a look and lift each one. My dad, before retiring, spent a lot of time travelling, at the end of it size, weight and ensuring the laptop was wireless enabled were key for him.

If you travel a lot make sure the laptop fits in your usual briefcase/backpack as a "laptop" bag with a PC logo on it is an invitation to be stolen!

mdshamilton 13:20 01 Jul 04

My dad had XP Pro on his as it was a company laptop, my mother had XP Home on hers. They both seemed to work fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…