What laptop should I buy?

Scorpion Bay 20:40 07 Oct 03

I am thinking of buying a laptop for use at university. I am, at the moment, leaning towards getting a 15" Apple Powerbook, but I would love to know what other people consider to be the best laptop at the moment. Should I go for an Apple, or something else? Ideally, I would like to spend no more than £1,800. Thanks

antoni34 05:04 08 Oct 03

I have one of these - superb !!!!

Inigo 00:19 10 Oct 03

I definately reccomend Apple. Possibly consider a 12" Powerbook, though - I have a 15" Time laptop (I regret not getting a Mac one...), and although the screen is nice it's not as portable, and I have battery life problems - on a good day it lasts 3 hours; not good when I have 5 hours of lectures on a Thursday, and want to use it to put my notes on in all of them...

Possibly spend the extra money from getting a smaller laptop on a large desktop screen for DVDs etc...? Plus, extended desktop on a mac is sweet...

Or if you're wanting it as a desktop replacement go for the 15". Your price should get you a top-of-the-range 15"...

Oh, Apple is rumoured to release new screens soon (so wait a few weeks if you want an Apple monitor). Also, if you buy an additional battery you can change the battery in sleep mode with no loss of data...

Hope this helps...

Inigo 00:21 10 Oct 03

Should have pointed out that the 12" PB has a battery life of ~5 hours, according to the Apple website, and the 15" does 4.5 hours...

Scunk 23:13 26 Oct 03

HP Compaq NX9005
I have one these and for the money are a very good buy.

antoni34 05:00 27 Oct 03

Scunk - glad u enjoy ur laptop like I do !!!

Mines on holiday in Portugal at the moment !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…