what kind of scam is this?

doctor92 14:15 25 Aug 06

I have a PC for sale in a free ads paper and i got an email last night asking for my lowest price. I replied, then today i got the following reply;

Hello,
Thanks for the mail,I will have to inform you that I am okay with the price of the computer system(£410)and the condtion terms are also okay with me,For the Shippment from your location,I have my SHIPPER that will come over for the pick up from your location as soon as we seal this Transaction from your end. Do e-mail me you (FULL NAME ON CHEQUE,CONTACT ADDRESS,MOBILE & LANLINE PHONE NUMBER)For the payment arrangment,I will be paying by Cheque and i will wait for the cheque to clear before the pick up from your location. I have a CLIENT of my that is owning me some Fund in United Kingdom that will issue you the cheque of (£3,200)as soon as you receive the cheque and clear from the bank, you will deduct the cost of the ADVERT and the remaining balance will be send to the Shipper through WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER for the pick up from your location.If this is okay by you,do e-mail me the following detail
FULL NAME ON CHEQUE:
CONTACTED ADDRESS:
MOBILE&LADLINE PHONE NUMBER:
for the cheque to be made out to you. Hope to read from you soonest.
NB:- I will wait for the cheque to clear before the pick up.I will like you to consider the item sold to me ok,I will compensate you with £50 for you to remove the advert from the site........
Best Regard
Marcus

whats that all about then?

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:34 25 Aug 06

This is how it works.............. click here

Forum Editor 15:27 25 Aug 06

who advertises a car for sale on one of the many websites will receive this kind of message. I must confess I didn't know that the perpetrators had taken to reading the small ads in local papers though.

johndere 16:48 25 Aug 06

Thanks for the link gandalf, interesting reading.
Friend selling a car got the usual replies from these scumbags, did not even bother to reply to them though.

doctor92 17:04 25 Aug 06

fascinating stuff, I'd never heard of this before. Thanks for the replies

doctor92 19:11 25 Aug 06

just had another two similar emails. My advert must have "mug" written all over it.

g0slp 00:12 26 Aug 06

"My advert must have "mug" written all over it."

Only if you fall for it...

GRFT 07:52 26 Aug 06

Thanks for the link. I wondered how it worked.
I had such a response to an item I had for sale online. It was so obviously a scam I told the sender to get lost.

beynac 10:35 26 Aug 06

When a cheque 'clears', it just means that it has been processed by the banking system. The paying bank can still reject the payment if, for example, there's no such account or insufficient funds. This means that the payment can be reversed through the system several days after it has 'cleared'.

These scammers rely on people's ignorance of this fact.

spuds 16:33 26 Aug 06

Recently there was an investigatory documentary type of thing on television, which featured a raid on a cyber-cafe in Lagos, Nigeria. The end result of that was several arrests and confiscation of equipment, plus a shoot-out with the police and local gangsters.The police and other agencies had to retreat rather hastily, as they were completely outnumbered due to mass crowds forming, in support of the gangsters.

This is the situation and ruthless type of people involved in these scams, which according to the authorities, net the bosses of these scams and controlled gangs, millions over a year.

Another two interesting links click here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…