What happened to Corel in USA?

Brian-336451 04:04 09 May 03

Due to my airline work, I've just spent a week in Orlando.

This has given me time to look around the major computer retailers and bookstores.

Not only did I not find a single piece of Corel software, there were absolutely NO manuals or books about them either.

On a personal basis, I've been using CorelDRAW for many years - mainly for technical training and think it is without peer.

I realise that Corel are looking for buyers as they are in financial straits, but I've found this total disappearance from mainline stores quite shocking.

Anyone got any info? I'm just curious.

leo49 11:10 09 May 03

Last I read, a major percentage of the company had been bought by Microsoft.

3Toed 20:22 09 May 03

This may give you a little background-
click here

3Toed 20:35 09 May 03

And also-
click here
for a more up-to-date press release.

Brian-336451 12:48 10 May 03

3 Toed (?!) there must be a story to that, the only creature I'm aware of with a description like that is a sloth - is that the clue?

Anyway, back to the thread, YES that rather sums it up, on of the Sales Assistants said that they used to have some Corel stuff up to a couple of years ago (coinciding neatly with the stock purchase by MS).

Sadly it looks as if they are dead on their feet which is a real shame as I don't think there is a product on the market like corelDRAW.

What would replace it?

Thanks for your input guys.

3Toed 13:17 10 May 03

;-).
You are correct in your thinking-I shortened it down to 3Toed to save people typing the full name if they required to contact me.(It came from my slow 56k modem line originally).
As for replacing Corel-there are many big players,as im sure you know,but depends of course on the budget-Adobe Photoshop is the obvious one,with 7 being their fairly rescent addition.You can also get many half-descent progs.for a fraction of the cost-Maybe take a walk into Pcworld just to browse the many on offer,even if you dont buy,it will enlighten you-good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…