What do I do next after three breakdowns?

Rusty Bullet Hole 11:43 15 Sep 03

Hi
I bought a CTX PR1400f Monitor 05/03/2001 from Dabs and if I remember correctly it failed around Christmas that year. I called CTX and they gave the number of a company that dealt with returns for them and within a week the monitor was replaced. Then that monitor failed in the middle of 2002 this time I called the service number found on the web site and the monitor was replaced again. The picture on this monitor was the clearest and sharpest yet and I thought that they may have ironed out the problems with this unit. Oh no, last week 09/09/2003 that monitor failed with wailing and plumes of smoke. I called the sevice centre, and told them how unhappy I was with the reliability of this monitor and that I thought it only fair that they extended the warranty. They told me they only had on record one replacement, as the company that used to deal with warranty replacements, had thrown away alot of their records (just my luck). After speaking with a supervisor he said that he would send me a brand new monitor but would not extend the warranty. He needed a copy of the original delivery note I had, confirming the date I recieved the original monitor, and that I would get my new unit on friday or monday. Well I called today (monday)and guess what, no monitor has been sent yet, but as I called in the morning they can send it overnight and I should get it tomorrow (tuesday).
What next? Where do I stand? What should I do if this unit fails after the three year warranty is over? Please help.
Rich.

Forum Editor 12:00 15 Sep 03

and I'll transfer it there now.

Forum Editor 12:11 15 Sep 03

you've had four new monitors (or will have, when the latest one arrives). I know that it's irritating, but on your own admission the third one was the best yet. The fourth one, even if it only lasts six months or so will take you out of the original warranty period, but it's probably going to last longer than that. In the circumstances I can understand your concern, but I can also understand CTX's attitude. They have met their obligations under the terms of the original manufacturers warranty, and they don't see why they should extend it - as far as they're concerned it's all over once the original period expires.

What about Dabs, with whom you had the original contract of sale, did you contact them about this at any point, and if so what was their reaction?

Rusty Bullet Hole 12:36 15 Sep 03

I did contact Dabs when the first monitor went belly up and they refered me straight to CTX thats how I first got their number. Dabs told me at the time that I was to deal with CTX direct, for they would only do the same and it would be quicker dealing with them myself.

Forum Editor 12:39 15 Sep 03

I thought as much, but it was worth checking. The Dabs reaction was sound - retailers would send the monitor back to the maker anyway, and it is quicker to deal direct.

Rusty Bullet Hole 12:51 15 Sep 03

yea thats what I thought. I know CTX has met all their obligations, but the monitor wasn't cheap and I'm not filled with confidence that this new one will last more than a year. The funny thing is I have a little cheap 15" monitor thats about 6 years old and it's never let me down lol. Just looks like I'll have to bite the bullet, the Rusty Bullet lol

spuds 22:51 15 Sep 03

I have dealt with CTX on a number of occassions, and I have always found them tops on customer care.They changed a complete CTX computer system that I purchased from Tempo, when Tempo refused to honour their [Tempo] Piece Of Mind warranty.CTX were not obliged to do this, but they did.It was once the case that a monitor was covered for three years, either as a swap-out or rtb. But this seems to be changing now,as with hard-drives, with manufacturers only giving one or two years warranty cover now.But look how the price of monitors have come down in the last couple of years.

I also have a six year old CTX 15" monitor, which is still working, abiet on a retirement mode. The price that I paid for that six years ago,would buy two 17" units now.

Rusty Bullet Hole 04:22 20 Sep 03

Got to agree with spuds that the customer care has been great but I have been let down by the warehouse sending me what I can only describe as an ex-display model. Called CTX the man there, (Pete, great guy) I spoke to was nothing but helpful and apologetic and told me he would have a new one sent to their department for testing and then sent to me, to make sure all is fine.

Stuartli 18:33 20 Sep 03

It seems strange that you have had so many monitors flake out.

Have you checked out, for instance, the monitor's positioning in that it not sited too close to walls or other objects that may restrict air flow around or above it?

The ambient temperature of the room will also have to be reasonable to ensure adequate cooling.

OldBaldy 20:56 20 Sep 03

As with stuartli, I am kinda surprised at your run of luck... Do you power the monitor thru the PC or standalone? And do you use a surge protector - I'm pretty sure neither will really make a difference - after all, if its a surge problem, I'd expect it to take your puter too - and im pretty sure the 230V power out on older (and admittedly a couple of newer) PSU's is just a straight split and not monitored or adjusted by the PSU...

Having typed all this I think I just cancelled out both my potential points, but I typed it so may as well post it - spose it's possible the CTX's may be extra sensitive to surges or somethin....

Rusty Bullet Hole 12:36 21 Sep 03

The monitor sits in an air conditioned room and is only used two to three hours a day. The last one was ment to be brand new but turns out was an old recon unit sent from the warehouse. Guess i'm just unlucky if it wasn't for the customer service i'd be calling them blind. But they have been most helpful and the delivery guy said that it was the first 21" unit he had replaced most are the 17" units. I hope that this time thing will be fine, I'll let you know when I get the new one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…