What computer to buy as home network base

jimborani 11:23 09 Feb 05

I have an existing computer at home which is a fairly fast processor but it has no high speed USB ports only normal one. I would like to give this computer to the kids and buy a new one to make a home network with the existing computer, the new one and my laptop which is a brand new HP one. My question is what spec should I go for, I do not play many games only Microsoft flight simulator. I use if for browsing on AOL broadband gold and working form home using MS office suite. I live within 3 miles of Novatech in Portsmouth and we have bought many computers form them for our office with no side effects and very reasonable after service etc. They do a tailor made servicew so what should I ask for on the new computer, any comments would be appreciated. I have previously bought a computer from Mesh, I WILL SAY NO MORE ON THAT SUBJECT!!!! enough said. I do realise not everybody will prioritise features in the same order but would like this to last a few years!! some hope. I will probably spend in the region of £1,000.00 - £1,200.00 inc vat

Regards

jimborani

TomJerry 14:55 09 Feb 05

only think you need to look is just network (lan) connection port since you want to do network

as you have money, why not pay more to get a 17" good quality LCD monitor.

If you do a lot of Excel, get two 15" slim LCD monitor is even better, but make sure graphics card support two monitors

set your budget and then ask Novatech to give you as much as they can

if you want peace and quiet, Novatech has some good component and case to make very quiet PC

maybe select your component and ask Novatech to build and warrenty for you

TomJerry 15:15 09 Feb 05

reletively powerful, cost £754 for compoments, maybe you can ask if Novatech will build for you for £100

SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA NCQ 7200.7 160GB 8MB CACHE HARD DRIVE 7,200RPM 8.5MS

1.44MB 3.5 INCH FLOPPY DISK DRIVE (BLACK)

2 of 400MHZ 184PIN 512MB PC3200 DDR RAM DIMM 2.5V 3.2GB/SEC

ASUS A8V DELUXE 939 8XAGP, SATA, RAID, DUAL DDR400

NEXUS BREEZE SILENT CASE, EQUIPPED WITH 350W PSU 120MM CASE FAN AND NOISE ABSORTION MATERIAL

RETAIL BOXED AMD ATHLON 64 3000 WINCHESTER SOCKET 939PIN CPU

SAPHIRE RADEON 9550 128MB AGP TVO/DVI (TSOP 128BIT)

NEC BLACK ND3500 8X DUAL LAYER & 16X DVD+/-R & 4X DVDRW - OEM, DOES NOT COME WITH SOFTWARE

17" BENQ MONITOR/MODEL T720 BLACK 17" TFT WITH SPEAKERS 0.264MM 16MS RESPONSE TIME 500:1 CONTRAST RATIO TC099 WITH BUILT-IN PSU , VESA100 MOUNTABLE+KENSINGTON LOCKAB

NEXUS AXP-6400 SILENT HEATSINK AND FAN FOR AMD 64

Maybe you can get two LCD monitors

Stuartli 17:45 09 Feb 05

You can buy a Packard Bell with an Intel Pentium4 2.94MHz CPU, dual layer DVD rewriter, XP Home, year's onsite warranty etc for £399 including VAT from BigPockets:

click here

It will do all you appear to require; refurbished 17in monitor £35.

TomJerry 00:37 10 Feb 05

??

Stuartli 10:52 10 Feb 05

They are NOT secondhand - they are refurbished, usually by the manufacturers and come with an excellent on-site warranty.

Morgan Computers, for instance, is another source with which many forum members will be familiar for a wide choice of such bargains, while click here will sell you a new or used laptop at very keen prices, plus spares, accessories etc.

Most people don't need the latest and greatest to achieve what we want with a computer system or to brag to friends and family about our latest acquisition.

What's more, some of us survive on modest pensions and don't feel the need to donate any more tax than necessary to be needlessly squandered by politicians.

jimborani 09:19 11 Feb 05

Come on guys, keep it relevant, leave the politics out!!!. I only need a spec to work to. I will buy it locally as the problems I had with Mesh preclude any distance buying because of normal breakdowns etc. i have always had good service from Novatech so spec only please, no preaching!!

jimborani 11:00 11 Feb 05

Just another thought, has anybody experience of PC World service. They have a branch near me and have some good finance deals, why use my money when I can use theirs?. They also sell and install, at home, a network system for about £100, not bad eh?

TomJerry 11:24 11 Feb 05

as for services, I think it is not worse than other on-line retails.

At least, you can go into to its store and shout to someone when something gone belly-up.

install network for £100 is to stiff if equipment is extra, network is very easy to do, I am sure people in here well hand holding you if give state clearly what you want to achieve

Dizzy Bob 19:32 11 Feb 05

I am probably going to regret this...

The Portsmouth PC World is fairly good as stores go, the team there is knowledgeable and helpful on the whole. Nobody is perfect, and things do go wrong sometimes, but the technical team are pretty knowledgable and as TomJerry says, at least you can go in and talk (please don't shout) to someone if you have a problem.

I am biased, as up to last week, I was the General Manager of the store, I have now moved to Chichester to take up the same role.

Please do not overload me with emails requesting help with your PC World problems as I do not have the resource or time to offer as do some of the other regular contributors (Davey and Daniel spring to mind). Having said that, if I can provide clarification on an issue, or perhaps provide an escalation route, i will be happy to do so.

jimborani, if it is any help, drop me an email via the yellow envelope, and i will provide you with a contact in store who is knowledgeable in the area you are looking at.

*floodgates open*

Dizzy Bob

jimborani 14:55 16 Feb 05

Thanks for the PC World info. Went into the store late last week and spoke to someone about spec etc. Have now found out AOL gold does not support networking on my cable modem, so the new computer would not have worked anyway!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…