What is Cache?

ened 17:23 15 Mar 05

I have been looking for a Laptop for my wife.
I understand quite a bit about Computers but am intrigued by the mention of (256k/1mb etc)Cache.
Does this actually mean anything? Or is it something flashy to make the product look better?

ade.h 17:41 15 Mar 05

All CPUs have to have a cache. It's a small peice of RAM that acts as a repository for all the data that passes in to and out of the processor.There are two types, both which are found in all CPUs; level 1, which is very small but very fast, and level 2, which is slightly slower but much bigger. Typically between 256 Kbytes and 2Mbytes.

More cache gives a bigger real-world performance boost than an extra few Mhz in clock speed. Pentium 4 and Pentium M CPUs tend to have 1-2Mb, while AMD Athlons have 512kb to 1Mb. That does not necessarily make Intel CPUs faster than AMD, given other varations between the two ranges. As a rule of thumb, the more cache, the better.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…