What is the best Net book - HP 110 ?

Ben capewell 20:08 14 Jul 10

Hi, as i am writing this subject, what is the best net book to get on the market. We are thinking of getting HP 110 or samsung NC10, well this is what we have narrowed it down too, or dell.
We have got pc at home already, my wife just wants something for mainly internet usage.
Please help im fed up of her asking me!!

chub_tor 20:31 14 Jul 10

I have recently purchased an HP Mini 110-1011 from Staples and it is an excellent little machine, I did upgrade the OS to the full Windows7 Home Premium and increased the RAM to 2GB shortly after I bought it but this was mainly because I had them laying around and it wasn't strictly necessary. This model comes with the bigger battery and consequently can run for 6 hours or so without recharging. Big hard drive so will have plenty of videos and music to watch and listen to on my next transatlantic flight.
My only complaint is that the black case finger marks very easily and I need to wipe the case off with the small cloth that is supplied after every use.

chub_tor 20:39 14 Jul 10

sorry just re-checked my machine is HP Mini 210-1011ea, not 110 click here for spec.

Ben capewell 20:42 14 Jul 10

Thanks for that Chub, my wife did say something about she did not like the look of the net book.
How much did you pay , as QVC are selling them at the mo at £269

chub_tor 20:42 14 Jul 10

and by the way I got it for £238 by haggling with them.

sunnystaines 21:07 14 Jul 10

most qvc deals can be found cheaper elsewhere if you shop around.

onthelimit 08:47 15 Jul 10

Don't think you can beat the Sammy NC10 - good keyboard and (if you buy the right model) up to 9hrs battery life.

qbie 10:16 15 Jul 10

Virtually all netbooks comw with a similar spec..

Intel Atom, 1GB Ram, 250GB HDD, Win XP or Win7 Starter - the only variations in this tend to be that some come with a Solid State Drive rather than a HDD. Performance wise an SSD will be faster and make the battery last longer, but you have to trade this off against a slightly more expensive netbook, and less storage space.

Performance wise the Atom processor isn't exactly designed for anything other than general internet surfing and running office apps, there is really very little noticable difference in peformance in real life terms between the old N2xx series and the new N4xx series - don't expect either to set the world on fire.

Really, I think it all comes down to personal preference of the case and touchpad design - personally I can't stand some of the HPs and the Dells as they have the mouse buttons integrated into the touchpad. If you're like me and you like to hover one finger on a button for when you press it, the touchpad sometimes picks this up as movement and moves the cursor. Very bad design IMHO - just have them as separate buttons!

Also, as has been stated above, check the battery, some come with a 6 or 9 cell battery which will give better battery life.

woodchip 19:39 17 Jul 10

I have a nc10 its very good and fast, the big let down is the touch pad. You need to use a Wireless Optical mouse as I do with it. Battery seems to run forever

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…