What are my rights regarding replacement/repair?

Cara2 12:10 11 Mar 05

Philips LCD portable TV - faulty. Delivered 1st Feb 2005 and being a portable TV, rarely used.

Bought online from Currys who inform me that as it is outside the 28 day period (by 11 days) it will have to be repaired.

This means I have to take it to a local branch where Mastercare will take 7 to 10 days to repair and return.

To dispute this, as I am so unhappy at having to accept a repair at such an early stage,I have to write (no telephone number available) to Currys. I am not a happy soul right now!

I bought from Currys specifically as I thought it would be simple in the event of a problem.

What are my rights? Do I have to accept a repair?

Thanks,
Cara

TomJerry 12:19 11 Mar 05

28 days given by Currys are more than what legally required

the distance selling act only states "7 days cooling off period".

we, customers, must be fair to retailers as well

Cara2 12:33 11 Mar 05

Thank you for you reply.

My query does not concern 'distant selling' in particular. It is not a case of having had a change of mind over the product, but that it has become faulty in a such a short period of time.

Does anyone know what the legal requirements are here? Currys state that outside 28 days it has to be a repair. Is this a fact?

TomJerry 13:03 11 Mar 05

do not which act apply to real shop, maybe consumer law or something like this

really do not see what other options you have

davidg_richmond 13:04 11 Mar 05

Within a reasonable space of time you can request a refund, but this reasonable period is disputable. If you wish to take it further, contact their customer services as Currys and Dixons are getting more flexible over the 28 day rule (which is their own but the same as many other companys').

wjrt 14:04 11 Mar 05

click here

perhaps as quoted here

good which are expected to last more than six months and develope a fault are deemed to have been faulty at time of purchase and it is op to the trader to prove otherwise

mabe worth quoting to manager for response

Happy Soul 16:45 11 Mar 05

Under the United Kingdom's Distance Selling Regulations, you have the right to cancel the contract for the purchase of any items within a period of 7 working days, beginning with the day after the day on which the item is delivered.

The above covers you if you have changed your mind and does not replace the Sale of Goods Act.

Your Philips LCD portable TV having failed so soon is not of merchantable quality or fit for it's purpose. I would demand a refund and go elsewhere.

ade.h 18:19 11 Mar 05

click here this link will help you to determine your rights. In particular, read the pdf titled Short Guide for Consumers

ade.h 18:22 11 Mar 05

Also, click here;jsessionid=CxfvQPNXhspmyklK3BL3jM9MbntX73F1rgN23JnC7QJ6Rjg8zQ7h!-1880293289!1110564642699?r.l3=1074027367&r.l2=1074400662&r.l1=1073861169&r.s=sc&type=RESOURCES&itemId=1073792524 this describes the law from the seller's point of view.

ade.h 18:23 11 Mar 05

click here

Try that.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:30 11 Mar 05

In the event of a faulty item the retailer has the right to attempt to fix it first. If this fails a refund is in order. Philips are usually ultra reliable and I am sure the fault will prove to be minor.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant