Well, would you credit it!

TOPCAT? 11:27 10 Nov 03

'Fraudsters steal about ?800 a minute using credit cards over the net, phone or fax.

Payments where the owner is not present to sign a receipt are most vulnerable to fraud, the Association of Payment Clearing Services (Apacs) warned.'

click here

click here to read how you stand on online fraud.

Be extra careful with your financial details, receipts and bank statements. TC.

obbit 12:00 10 Nov 03

i was charged twice for a cd purchased over the internet. i spotted it while looking over account details online. i was refunded by my bank. they said my card was swiped twice. funny that, because i wasn't present during the transaction.

so check your account on each transaction.

i find it suprising that they can stand such a loss as they do.

Alan Ryan 14:14 10 Nov 03

Next year, I understand, my next Mastercard will
include a PIN for each transaction. How this will affect online purchases I'm not sure: if you are required to reveal the PIN to your online supplier in order to place an order, it would defeat the whole purpose of this security measure.

Al94 14:53 10 Nov 03

No you will NEVER give your PIN to anyone!!!

Online purchases will not be affected, you don't have to sign at the moment, the retailer indemnifies the credit card company against losses.

Al94 15:02 10 Nov 03

Sorry, I should have added that the main reason for the PIN is to cut down on use of stolen cards where a signature just needs to be copied at present. This whole area is a joke. I used to work for a major bank and any time there was a dispute in the area of card misuse, the retailers always banged on about how diligent their staff were on checking signatures!! I tested this once with a particular chain of retailers and signed the slip "Mickey Mouse" on different occasions and it was never looked at and accepted every time!!!! (I'm not M Mouse of course!)

I don't quite understand the area of "customer not present" as I have no real experience in this area but understand that the company indemnifies the card company so the retailer takes any "hits". It isn't easy for a new business to sign up for credit card facilities as the card companies will want guarantees in case of fraud or high level of claims.

Forum Editor 19:12 10 Nov 03

that with Internet CHNP (CardHolder Not Present) transactions it's the online trader who is the loser if things go wrong. If the trader processes a charge on what turns out to be a stolen card, or accepts a payment which later proves not to have come from the cardholder he/she will have to stand the loss.

The Internet was always going to be an obvious choice for criminal activities, and nobody should be surprised at the size of the losses to fraudsters. Plain common sense plays a big part in keeping you safe.

spuds 19:57 10 Nov 03

Another fraud that is becoming more popular.A purchase of a mobile phone top-up card, from the usual outlets,mainly small shops,newsagents etc.Someone goe's into the shop, purchases said card,leaves the shop,uses card,returns to shop with card in new sealed packet,asks for refund with some pre-text excuse,leaves shop with refund.Storekeeper doesn't find out, till someone else purchases card and tries to top-up.So beware, especially if you have a top-up card outlet.

TOPCAT® 21:52 10 Nov 03

surge in online transactions, with the criminal fraudsters seeking to cash in on the unwary . It is the time to be extra vigilant and not to make it so easy for them to succeed.

It is the consumer who eventually pays in the end, reflected in higher shop prices or increased bank charges. These financial institutions frown deeply at any loss. TC.

Hyperangelic 09:45 11 Nov 03

The online retailer takes the hit on a lot of online fraud. The company I work for has just had this issue, where a disgruntled employee of a French firm used his company credit card to purchase products on our site. The products were shipped, but now the company has got wind of it and we are a few hundred euro out of pocket.

On the other side of the coin (or the card!), we regularly get users who hit the process transaction button and when they see nothing happening, they hit it again, or decide it hasn't worked and then restart the process. We try to watch out for double payments and refund if we see them or are alerted to them, but the truth is - it's an automated process. If you find you've been charged twice, go back to the company, who will generally happily refund to your card... Don't assume that they are thieves who did it on purpose.

TOPCAT® 15:02 11 Nov 03

No automated process, as far as I know, can cover every human frailty when it comes to buying anything online. On my first purchase I made a slight mistake which fortunately I spotted before hitting the process button.

The website in question had a final, very clear warning about clicking that button more than once and explained the reasons why. Reading this led to me re-checking my input and rectifying my mistake.

It's surprising how many websites fail to give any warnings at all. TC.

Southernboy 15:07 11 Nov 03

My friend fell into that trap. He bought a "new", sealed top-up that proved to have been used. Retailer refused to believe him and he lost £10.

Now uses only electronic top-up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…