Well, I took your advice...........

ams4127 23:54 06 May 03

and my new Evesham arrived today, ten days after placing the order.

It's a P4 3.06GZ, Gigabyte GA-8PE800 M/B, 1GB RAM, 2x80GB HDDs in raid 0, Radeon 9700, Creative Audigy 2, DVD ROM and Writer drives.

I made a slight mistake in ordering a full tower case which has nearly given me a hernia getting it into position. I had to remove it's stabilising feet to get it under my desk!

I unpacked it, opened it up and installed my ISDN and SCSI cards, connected everything up, switched on and away it went. I can find nothing wrong at all. All manuals have been supplied as well as the usual rescue disks and the setup instructions were reasonably clear.

There are a couple of (to me) minor niggles.

Firstly, the power management facility for the USB hubs was set to on which appears to be a feature of SP1 for XP. Having battled with this before on my previous machine, I turned it off and had no trouble installing any USB items. This could have been a problem for someone with even less knowledge than myself and necessitated a call to the helpline when the printer/scanner wouldn't install.

Secondly, it's very difficult to work out exactly which drivers have been installed and which haven't. Going by the motherboard driver CD, quite a few haven't. I'll figure it out in the next few days.

The LG TFT monitor does not appear to have any dead pixels and is set at [email protected]

And Oh Lordy, how this thing flies! I can't believe how fast it is. Pure wonderment!

Thanks to all those people who have written in to this forum with their views on Evesham. I am so glad I took your advice!

And so to bed.....

justme 10:50 07 May 03

It makes a welcome change to read about someone being happy with their purchase.

Hope you continue to enjoy your new toy.

hoverman 11:09 07 May 03

Another satisfied Evesham customer. I have purchased two PC's from them over the past few years and wouldn't go anywhere else. Also, Their Tech. Support is second to none in my experience.

Evesham Support 11:17 07 May 03

As well as the motherboard manufacturers CD supplied with your machine you will also have received an Evesham Technology Windows XP Support CD, this contains the latest drivers that we have tested and approved for your machine and should be used as oppose to the motherboard CD.

All required drivers are already preinstalled on your machine and as such the support CD should only be used should they need to be reinstalled for any reason.

Please do not hesitate to contact techncial support should you have any further queries.

Kind regards

Customer Support
Evesham Technology

rickf 11:41 07 May 03

Good to see Eversham's presence onsite.

microswift 18:26 07 May 03

I have found that if the "usually" white envelopes that contain the CD-rom drives are sealed then that particular drive has not been installed, those that are open usually have been.

ams4127 19:19 07 May 03

My thanks to all who replied.

I am having a ball! Currently fully employed trying to sort out the birds nest of wiring that goes with the speakers. Fear not my friends, I shall emerge triumphant in the end!

Thanks Evesham support. Please note that I did not post this thread to get your attention, your kind reply was an unexpected pleasure. However, now that I have got it, perhaps you would be kind enough to explain one more thing. The DVD ROM drive is accompanied by the instruction book and all is fine, but the DVD writer has no book so I don't know what format(s) it supports, what CD speed (if any) it writes at and what type of DVD disks it uses. Looking at it, it seems to be able to use bare disks and those in a caddy (DVD RAM?). Any information, or documentation, you could supply would be greatly appreciated.

I appreciate your point about the installation of drivers, however a short list detailing exactly which drivers/software have indeed been used would be of great help, if enclosed with each PC.

Thanks again for bothering to respond to this thread, especially since I have yet to register my machine with you. OK, I'll do it now!

Regards to all.

ams4127 19:19 07 May 03

My thanks to all who replied.

I am having a ball! Currently fully employed trying to sort out the birds nest of wiring that goes with the speakers. Fear not my friends, I shall emerge triumphant in the end!

Thanks Evesham support. Please note that I did not post this thread to get your attention, your kind reply was an unexpected pleasure. However, now that I have got it, perhaps you would be kind enough to explain one more thing. The DVD ROM drive is accompanied by the instruction book and all is fine, but the DVD writer has no book so I don't know what format(s) it supports, what CD speed (if any) it writes at and what type of DVD disks it uses. Looking at it, it seems to be able to use bare disks and those in a caddy (DVD RAM?). Any information, or documentation, you could supply would be greatly appreciated.

I appreciate your point about the installation of drivers, however a short list detailing exactly which drivers/software have indeed been used would be of great help, if enclosed with each PC.

Thanks again for bothering to respond to this thread, especially since I have yet to register my machine with you. OK, I'll do it now!

Regards to all.

ams4127 19:21 07 May 03

Oops! My computer works fine but the rest of the world is out of sync!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…