Well done Aldi

Arnie 23:44 28 May 06

In October last year I bought a vacuum cleaner from Aldi for £35.
Until a few weeks ago everything was ok until my wife commented on the lead not retracting into the casework.

I decided to have a quick look to see if there was a simple solution to the problem. Unfortunately I could not open the casework without voiding the guarantee, so I asked the Stevenage store manager what their procedure was to have the item fixed under their guarantee.
He simply asked me to return it to the store with its original parts and packing as supplied, for a replacement or a full refund.
Since I felt that although electrically the machine was ok, some of the plastic parts were a little flimsy so I accepted his offer of a refund.

In view of the fact that Aldi were quite within their rights to replace or repair the cleaner, I thought offering me a refund was a nice gesture.

I suppose they are now offering the sort of service that some of the major food stores seem to offer as standard nowadays, e.g. Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury’s and others. Anyway well done Aldi.

Stuartli 23:55 28 May 06

On two or three occasions I've had to return an item to Aldi and, providing I still have the receipt, I get an immediate refund.

Last Sunday I bought one of the £6.99 aerial amplifiers which didn't seem to be working properly, so I took it back and exchanged it.

I had to do this three more times before I got one that was "working".

Turned out that it was my (easily made) mistake and felt a bit sheepish afterwards, but there was never a quibble with the Aldi staff about swapping the product so many times.

They did state that I was the only person who had had problems...:-)

spuds 00:21 29 May 06

I hope the vacuum cleaner was not the Delta Cyclonic. Bought two, and the one that I am using seems to have intermittent poor suction. A friend as the other one, and they are very satisfied with that one.

Arnie 00:23 29 May 06

I know the amplifiers you are talking about, my friend bought one and it worked perfectly.

In view of the 3 returns to find a good one. I wonder if the staff just put the faulty returns back on the shelf so to speak?

Anyway they are still good value for money if you get a good one.

Arnie 00:36 29 May 06

Yes it was. I also noticed the intermittent poor suction. I completely removed all the plastic items that were in close contact with the rubber seals.
This seemed to do the trick.

Unfortunately my wife never liked it. She thought it was poorly built.

We have a Dyson DC04 upright cleaner and I suppose she has been spoilt.

I use an Aquavac cleaner in the garage/workshop. Now that IS powerful.

Arnie 00:40 29 May 06

all the plastic items that were in close contact with the rubber seals.

And of course refitted them!! It's the late hour.

spuds 09:34 29 May 06

Thanks Arnie for the information. Looks like a 'things to watch' situation.

Talking about Dyson, my local recycling depot, seem to have quite a number of that brand in stock, no Aquavac's though.

Stuartli 10:51 29 May 06

>>I wonder if the staff just put the faulty returns back on the shelf so to speak?>>

There were about 60 examples of the amplifier from which to choose.

As I stated earlier, it was my fault and not that of the product...:-)

One of the attractions was the fact that it incorporates three mains socket outlets, which is very handy where I am using it in the main living room.

Arnie 11:36 29 May 06

"no Aquavac's though"

Excellent news. Mine must be around ten years old and it is still running efficiently.

One little tip regarding the Delta Cyclonic cleaner.

After the one year Aldi guarantee is out, you may wish to open the casework to improve the lead retraction mechanism.

The upper and lower case is held together with possibly 5 self tapping standard Pozidrive screws.
4 of them are easily accessible from underneath the unit. After removing the four screws the two case sections would not fully separate.

I carefully peeled back a silver label covering what appeared to be a sealed screw hole.
If that area is poked out I am sure the other screw is there.

It is very unlikely that anyone would want to return the unit to the UK service depot in view of the costs involved. After all The cleaner was only £35. So if you have mechanical problems give it a try.
I don't know your background electrical expertise so I add the caveat. Leave this side of the servicing alone.

BTW as a hobby I used to service Hoover Junior and Senior models. They were a dream to work on and pattern spares were easily obtained.

Arnie 11:50 29 May 06

"Talking about Dyson, my local recycling depot, seem to have quite a number of that brand in stock"

I forgot to mention. Dyson spares are fairly expensive. Maybe that's why one sees quite a number of the older models for recycling.

Hats off to the green minded public though.

Anyone with the necessary repair skils...

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…