Web Browser Alternatives

troydi 15:46 06 Jul 04

After reading recently about some flaws in Internet Explorer, I thought it would be an idea to test out some other web browsers. I reas a couple of other posts in the forum suggestig alternatives of avant, opera and mozilla. Are they safer than internet explorer? Avant is pretty much an upgrade from IE, so it bases itself on the same code right? Or do I have everythin muddled up already?! Thoughts please!

tenplus1 16:00 06 Jul 04

Avant! Browser does indeed use IE6 core files to browse the web, but the front-end it provides enhances the browsers features by giving you pop-up stoppers, ad-blockers, javascript control, as well as allowing photo, sound, java, flash on/off switches...

It also provides better security by deleting cookies and temporary internet files after closing the browser...

Opera on the other hand is a totally new browser which is a lot smaller than IE6 and has a different set of libraries to contend with, making it a lot safer to use than IE...Is has similar features as Avant! although most websites written specifically for IE6 may not display properly...

Pesala 20:59 06 Jul 04

click here for some explanation of the benefits of Opera. In practice, one may still need to use Internet Explorer on some sites.

Formatting of messages and posting links on MSN Groups, for example, uses ActiveX, which is not supported by Opera as it is considered to be a security risk.

There are other benefits to using Opera or Mozilla Firefox. Take a look at this click here in Internet Explorer, then in one of those alternative browsers.

The Spires 21:42 06 Jul 04

I don't use anything but Opera now, it's set as my default browser & I think it's the bee's knees. I very rarely get any SpyWare on my Pc.

woodt 21:46 06 Jul 04

I use click here it's the D's B's, much faster, more secure the IE. Try it, you wont regret it.

woodt 21:48 06 Jul 04

Only negative is that you have to use IE for Windows Updates and some Bank sites work better with IE but for general browsing I think Firefox is the best.

Tim1964 00:17 07 Jul 04

Have to agree with woodt,

I installed 'firefox' yesterday (with some tweaks found from another site) and couldn't believe the difference. I can now stream full screen film trailers in TV quality with Firefox. Using IE6 they were always buffering and of very poor quality.

Woooosh!

Spikefan 05:12 07 Jul 04

I use opera and firefox - cant beat them. I have used opera for a couple of years along with mozilla which tends to cope with the sites that opera couldnt. Just changed from mozilla to firefox - brilliant. Wouldnt go back to IE if you paid me (well depends on how much). Only down side is banking, but that is fine with Firefox - so only windows updates need explorer now. Hip Hip....

ened 07:03 07 Jul 04

>

Diodorus Siculus 08:04 07 Jul 04

If you do use Firefox, be sure to have a look at the extensions available which expand the functionality no end. click here

On the back of this thread I have installed Firefox this morning and, so far, am very impressed - far more flexible than I.E. and no problems yet.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac