Watford Electronics

Freddie911 09:31 05 Dec 03

I ordered a Motherboard Kit from Watford Electronics and they sent the wrong one which has to be returned. I spent 15 minutes on the phone to customer services and all I got was their recorded message. By email I have contacted Jenny McMellon from customer services but when I told her that I should not be liable for the carriage on the Motherboard which I have had to reorder she refuses to answer my email. Why should I have to pay for the carriage on the one I did not order and is this typical of Watford Electronics / Savastore.com?

rickf 11:22 05 Dec 03

This is the usual problem with ordering online. When things go well, its fine, but when it goes belly-up, it all goes horribly difficult with retailers not accepting their obligations, legal or otherwise. Each time my purchase on line goes ok, I am left with "there but with the grace of God go I." I sympathise with you but don't give up.

carver 17:06 05 Dec 03

They should have sent a returns authorisation e-mail which you can print off and this should have a prepaid address label as part of it. The person you have been dealing with now seems to handle all complaints ever since they deleted their phone no from their web site.This now is another firm where Customer Service is sadly lacking once they have your money.

xania 11:23 24 Dec 03

My own experiences, also with one of their motherboard kits, mirrors this one. I am in the fortunate position of living close enough to visit, so can get things done. However, a 'tested' motherboard kit was faulty and the replacement not set up correctly. All attempts to e-mail queries were ignored and, of course, the telephone help is a waste of time. I even went so far as to write directly to Mr Jaffa, only to discover that all such mail is now automatically re-directed to the same people who create all the problems. I've now found a local dealer who charges virtually the same as WE and - I don't I'll bother with my Savapoints.

Stuartli 11:51 24 Dec 03

The above comments make a mockery of the highly self congratulatory e-mail received from the company this morning from said MD Shiraz Jessa.

But it's a problem that applies to most online retailers - great on getting orders out to you but useless when something goes wrong or is faulty.

Here's the gist of the Watford Electronics self praise:

"So what for 2004? A new year coming up brings new challenges. Tempting though it is to sit on our laurels, we will be working even harder, to bring to you a wider range of products and the best and most aggressive pricing in UK. We will continue to buy in bulk to bring the price down whilst not compromising on Service. You will continue to see some great weekly offers and some exclusive products at amazing prices

"Our pledge for 2004 is much the same as it was in 2003. Indeed much the same as the previous 30 years. That is, to continue to provide you with superior levels of customer care combined with the best choice in products at the very best prices.

In the New Year we will be refining our website, empowering you, the Customer, to obtain all the information to make your choice, creating a completely transparent environment so that you can see the status of all your orders, returns and even the progress of the bespoke PC system you configured.

"More of a constant evolution of our 7th Generation website, the changes will boast some great new features, but most importantly will offer you more choice and yes, even lower prices.

"The team at Watford have produced some good work during 2003, they have worked very hard to get all the orders on time and I would like to take this opportunity to thank them. Teamwork is very much the name of our game."

Sic...:-)))

Fortunately I've never bought anything from the company after my first experience of its customer service a couple of years ago.

I e-mailed the customer department requesting some information on a motherboard pack (model of mobo and components etc) and never got a reply for what would have been a near £200 purchase.

In the end either dabs or Scan got the order - can't remember which one.

The sooner online businesses realise that poor service eventually becomes broadcast more and more widely, the soon they will start to get their act together.

But I live in hope....:-)

prima12 12:14 24 Dec 03
  Stuartli 12:37 24 Dec 03

But xania points out that mail to the said Mr Jessa is redirected to the same source of the unsatisfactory response...:-)

Stuartli 12:40 24 Dec 03
  Elwell 14:43 24 Dec 03

I was just about to make a substantial order from Watford but all this has put me off.

ajm 21:06 24 Dec 03
  rickf 22:12 24 Dec 03

WF has a bad history of customer service going back to when I 1st came on this forum nearly two years ago. I never ever buy from them no matter how good the price.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…