Water distillers

Graham. 11:26 08 Mar 10

I have my mind set on a SmartStill click here but I'm finding it difficult to find the right one.

You see, they come in two flavours (not a lot of people know this), 320 Watt for distilling alcohol and 580 Watt for distilling water. The first is the one sold by Homebrew shops and on eBay (are they gonna be disappointed) but the second I've as yet to source. Any leads, please?

anchor 12:19 08 Mar 10

Have you to contact the company via their e-mail address listed here?;

click here

wiz-king 13:05 08 Mar 10

Try before you buy.
Distilled water is bland and tasteless - the cooling system produces a lot of hot air or water and they need to be cleaned out especially if you live in a hard water area. Distilled water will also absorb and odours in the air and you could end up with a worse tasting drink than a filtered sample.

AND I would not buy from a company whose website is full of google links and does not contain and contact info!

Graham. 13:43 08 Mar 10

I've emailed SmartStill, awaiting a response.

BT 16:43 08 Mar 10

Unless I'm very much mistaken and things have changed since I was running a Laboratory, you still need a Customs license to operate a still, even one that is only designed for making Distilled water. It would seem to me that these are supplied from abroad. I can't believe that Homebrew shops in Britain would be selling anything like this as it would be highly illegal.

You would be far better using a Brita filter jug which as far as I know uses an Ion exchange system or a Water Gem inline water purifier which is an activated carbon system, as well as being cheaper per litre.

Distilled water is totally tasteless and neutral pH7, when first produced but rapidly absorbs CO2 from the air, making it slightly acidic,usually ending up at about pH4.

Graham. 16:49 08 Mar 10

I need one mainly for a humidifier. If you use tapwater it sprays dirt and chemicals around the house.

anchor 17:05 08 Mar 10

You might consider an alternative; demineralised water, (also known as deionized water).

When, as a chemist, I worked in a lab, this what we used instead of distilled water. My wife worked in the path lab of a hospital, and this was used there too.

BT 17:26 08 Mar 10

How much do you need, per week say?

You can get it in your local petrol staion at fairly low cost, and I think even Boots Chemist sell it.

961 19:18 08 Mar 10

Living in an area where the local water has been, from time to time, well, a bit iffy, we installed a Fileder water filter

An Ametec HM twin cartridge filter is installed in line to filter the mains water. It takes out much of the gunk we had before and makes the water taste as good as bottled water

We now have the problem that the dog can tell the difference and rejects water from the mains and demands the stuff from the filter!

This is different from distilled water in that it retains taste while removing all the synthetic chlorine taste from treated tap water

Try 01622 691886 for latest systems

Graham. 10:23 09 Mar 10

I've been to the distributor, Hambleton Bard, who are near me. They only have the US version, which is 120 volt, no indication of wattage. I can't see that being of any use in the UK, it would need a transformer.

I've given up on SmartStill and ordered an Odev-WD717 from click here

Graham. 23:31 10 Mar 10

If you're in any doubt about distilled water, I quote:

'Autoclave must adopt distilled water as operation medium.Even purified water has various minerals.and can produce furring scale after evaporation at high temperture,which,after a period of time,can lead to leaking of steam due to improper closure.It can also lead to the clog in the narrow pipes and pressure sensor,to the malfunction of temperature sensor and to other failures.Once the furring scale enters hand piece and axis. lowering the turming speed of hand piece,thus reading its life span. Therefore ,using distilled water is necessary. But since all the teratology clinics are located far from each other. It is difficult for them to buy distilled water. Now with this Water Distilled Machine Provided, you have a reliable source of high quality distilled water as long as you input pipe water!'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5