Was PC World right to pass the buck?

lixdexik 17:48 20 Apr 04

I had to return a monitor to PC world to-day as it developed an intermittent fault in the last week. It would make a loud crack! Then the picture would shrink to a spot and disappear, the screen was then blank and looked like it had been switched off, when the power button was pressed to switch it off then back on again, it would carry on as if nothing had happened until it happened again and again and again.

I bought this monitor on 29th March last year (2002) and so it was 22 days past the one year warranty. When it took the thing back to PC World their first comment was that it was a manufacturers warranty and had nothing to do with us. I would have to contact the manufacturer and see what they said…I pointed out that it was PC World that sold me the thing,,,could they not contact the manufacturer and see what they had to say..NO.. the manufacturer will only talk to the customer…

Now to be fair to the shop assistant, she did find the correct number for me to contact and gave me the phone to ring them up.. she also faxed a copy of the till receipt to the manufacturer for me, so in that respect she was helpful..

The manufacturer ( PROVIEW )was excellent and without hesitation offered a replacement unit, which I will receive tomorrow…Now I don’t want this to be a lets bash PC World thread…BUT was PC World right to wash it’s hands of the problem? Are they not responsible for the goods they sell? Is 22 days past warranty really unrealistic to hope for some sort of offer of help from the seller, not just a here’s a phone get on with it? .. Or am I being unreasonable?

Cheers Lixdexik.

Sir Radfordin 18:03 20 Apr 04

Data Protection Laws are likely to be one reason why the manufaturer will only talk to the customer.

Your claim against PCW could only be that the monitor didn't last as long as it should have done and that you wished to reject it as the Sale of Goods Act allows.

In most cases dealing with the manufacturer is the simplest and quickest way to a problem. It may be annoying and it may not be "right" but you have the problem solved so let sleeping dogs lie.

lixdexik 18:16 20 Apr 04

Your Right let sleeping dogs lie. I had to have a wee moan, but I'm Over it now.

Cheers Lixdexik.

Rayuk 18:44 20 Apr 04

1 day over and they are technically clear of all responsibility.

But as you said you were given the phone number phone and a fax sent so I would say that is good service in this instance.

oresome 19:40 20 Apr 04

The one year manufacturer's warranty is in addition to your consumer rights. As this had clearly expired, PC World as the retailer were responsible, as indeed they were during the first 12 months. On a practical level, as long as you get it sorted, all's well. Can't help but think that retailers continue to hide behind their suppliers.

spuds 20:24 20 Apr 04

Dealing with PCW can be a bit unsure at times, but in this case I think the statement of 'wash it's hands of the problem' doesn't quite ring true.The shop assistant rightly informed you that PCW couldn't deal with the manufacturer on your behalf, [as previously mentioned, she/they would have been in contrevention of the data protection act]. But shop assistant did give you the contact phone number, let you use the stores phone,and then faxed the sales details to the manufacturer. I think this in itself proved that PCW were not washing the hands on things.In fact in the end,via your contact with PCW, you have now managed to obtain a replacement without to much hassle.

Regarding the Proview monitor, I was in urgent need of a monitor last year, and I too was in the process of purchasing a Proview via PCW, until they mentioned the 1 year warranty. Further discussions led to the PCW extended warranty sale pitch, which resulted in a non-sale issue, and I purchased elsewhere, for a better monitor with a longer warranty for about the same price.Proview have come up trumps here, with their actions, and on that basis, I would reconsider their products in future. I do believe that the 1 year warranty is 'contracted' to PCW only, and the same product may have a different warranty timespan elsewhere.

lixdexik 21:03 20 Apr 04

If PCW offered to do what they did do, first, then that would have seemed more like they were concerned and were prepared to help. The "It's nowt to do with us" approach was a bit off. I accept that going to the manufacturer is often the quickest way to sort things, in this case I would have been happy with a repair or any offer of help. I got a better result than I expected from Proview, and I am grateful for that.
I perhaps expected a softer initial approach from PCW.

Anyway all is well that ends well.

Cheers Lixdexik.

davidg_richmond 22:00 20 Apr 04

A guarantee is an extension of the Sale of Goods Act as it gives a definite period of time with which the retailer/manufacturer will perform a repair without needing you to prove the fault. outside of a warranty or first six months, you would technically have to prove that the goods were faulty from the date of purchase or had an inherent fault.

PCW/Proview provided a good service here by helping you resolve the issue quickly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…