Warranty void if broken

IanNiblock 14:58 28 Oct 03

I installed a network card in my new PC last night, I noticed on the back of the case was a sticker that stated that the warranty would be void if that sticker was broken.

Effectively this means that I am not able to upgrade my system in any way without invalidating the warranty - does anybody have any comments on this?

(I seem to remember a similar posting to this a while ago, but I cannot find it now!)

wee eddie 17:37 28 Oct 03

I believe the courts have accepted this condition of Warrentry.

I know it sounds harsh, a violation of your human rights, and is not particularly fair.

But: if you change the product, there is no reason, other than goodwill, that the manufacturer should be liable any longer.

Having said that. Individual components are guaranteed by their manufacturer and that route will be open to you.

I do recall that when this question was raised in the computer press a while back, there were one or two enlightened manufacturers that said that opening up a case to upgrade would not necessarily void the warranty.

minter 19:13 28 Oct 03

Dell's attitude towards installing your own components is that they will cover anything that they supply or instal. Anything that you add yourself is not covered. Fair enough!

spuds 19:27 28 Oct 03

As stated, some manufacturers except that people like to upgrade, and have agreed to this, without voiding the warranty.They usually state that any components fitted by the non-staff upgrader, will not be covered by their warranty.A little caution would be advicable on fitting upgraded parts, as this could result in a pass the buck issue, should things prove faulty, at a later stage.

Some manufacturers on the other hand, make it very clear-- break the seal or securing method,and the warranty is void.Of course the Sales of Goods Act would still apply, if you wished to pursue this avenue.

ams4127 19:50 28 Oct 03

When buying my Evesham I asked if the warranty would be broken if I opened the case to install my SCSI card and another HDD. The answer was "No, go ahead".

I'll certainly buy from them again.

christmascracker 19:59 28 Oct 03

As A follow on from minters' post, in the manual that I got with my new Dell there is a section that tells you how to add memory,cards & drives etc

wee eddie 20:55 28 Oct 03

No manufacturer wants to stop you upgrading.

They just reserve the right to be held responsible for the consequences if that upgrade causes problems.

Sir Radfordin 10:32 29 Oct 03

When I bought my PC from Mesh they had an 'open box policy' which meant that you could do what ever you liked inside, but if something went wrong and they could show it was your fault then they wouldn't have to fix it. Seems a fair way of doing things.

IanNiblock 10:39 29 Oct 03

I agree Sir Rad, that does sound like a fair way of doing things.

The shop that I bought the PC from did not have any network cards in stock, and I didn't want to wait for over a week until they did, so I got one from somewhere else.

It seems unfair that the warranty from them is invalid as soon as you open the box - you wouldn't, for example, expect the warranty on a car to become invalid when you change the spark plugs would you?

wee eddie 10:51 29 Oct 03

The answer to that is yes, if you installed an incompatible set.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…