Warranty repair failure

Ferrari-Fan 14:56 09 Oct 10

In April 2009 I purchased a new Acer Aspire laptop. In March 2010 it developed a fault whereby it wouldn't switch on and had the mainboard replaced under warranty.

Two weeks ago it started to suddenly switch itself off, sometimes after a couple of hours use, sometimes while trying to boot up. Also the battery stopped being charged.

Investigation by a local repair shop identified the problem as a faulty chipset, requiring the mainboard to be replaced.

My question is, although the original laptop manufacturers warranty expired in April, will the repair carried out in March have any warranty on it?

I am questioning the quality of the mainboard fitted, or maybe the laptop itself has a problem causing the failures. Under the Sale of Goods Act I dont think the machine satisfies 'Fitness for purpose' or has reached what could be called a 'reasonable life expectancy'.

At this rate it would seem I might be replacing mainboards every 6 to 12 months.

Does anyone have any comments or experience of such matters?

onthelimit 17:51 09 Oct 10

A new mobo should certainly last more than 6 mths. I would say you have a strong case for it to be replaced at no charge, particularly as it's the second time it's happened. Take it back to where you got it from.

john bunyan 18:22 09 Oct 10

The second time the mainboard failed, You should have gone back to the seller and quoted the Sale of Goods Act as you describe. If you have evidence that there was an inherent fault you are covered beyond the one year. If you had the board replaced by someone else without notifing the first seller, the situation is different, and you could be covered by the Supply of Services Act. At this stage it may still be worth an approach to the original seller.

spuds 18:40 09 Oct 10

Consumer Direct click here

Ferrari-Fan 00:21 10 Oct 10

The original board was replaced under warranty by Acer Customer Service Repair Centre.

The current failure has only been inspected and diagnosed as requiring a new mainboard by a local repair shop. No work has been carried out and two days ago I sent an email to Acer outlining the problem. I haven't received a response yet.

The local repair shop said that Acer will say the repair would only be covered for 3 months from the date of repair. Looking on the internet I found a case where someone else had been told that too.

If this is the reply I eventually get I will not accept this and will have to take it further.

onthelimit 09:38 10 Oct 10

I too would think 3 mths too little, but you need to wait for some of the consumer experts to come along.

spuds 12:29 10 Oct 10

The law on this type of issue can be complicated.

Usually a repair should be 'fit for the purpose'. The law also states that it is the responsibility of the seller to deal with issues in the first instant. Acer as manufacturers are only offering a 'goodwill gesture', and their terms and conditions might be different to consumer law, hence my suggestion to contact Consumer Direct.

If the laptop was purchased direct from Acer, then that would make Acer the main seller, with consumer law being paramount, and not their own terms and conditions. Its as simple as that.

Ferrari-Fan 17:04 10 Oct 10

The laptop was purchsed from Laptops Direct. As I only live a mile from their site, I didnt buy over the internet but bought it over the counter as I would any normal consumer outlet.

When the laptop originally failed I took it back there, but they pointed out the paragraph on the receipt which stated any guarantee repairs should be dealt with through Acer Customer services. Therefore I contacted Acer, logged the fault and they arranged collection, repair and return of the laptop.

By doing it this way are Laptops Direct conveniently getting out of their responsibility of the 'seller'?

Might I find myself stuck between the two?

john bunyan 17:35 10 Oct 10

Your seller was Laptops Direct, and whatever their receipt says, they are responsible. In my view, this seems a clear case of the goods being of unsatisfatory quality under the Sale of Goods Act. I would write to them and insist you want a new PC, a refund or a speedy repair at their arrangement. Be prepared to go as far as the Small Claims Court - not too difficult. An independant report is needed and if you are correct the seller should pay the cost of this.

961 17:42 10 Oct 10

I think you'll find that many deliberate over the problem you raise

However, I think you'll find that in most cases the retailer (with whom your contract is made) will suggest that it is faster for you to return the item to the manufacturers service depot. If you insist on going through the retailer then that prolongs the wait for a repair because they may take longer to return it to Acer than you do. And that's what they're going to do. They won't repair it themselves unless it's something dead simple like replacing a memory stick or something that Acer will authorise

You can insist that Laptops Direct handle it but quite honestly I'd get on to Acer straight away, tell them the problem and ask them to sort it

If, for any reason they don't then you can go back and pursue your remedy against the retailer

Incidentally, I'm not quite sure about the involvement of a local repair shop and I'm not sure I'd mention how you came to think the mobo had failed. Intervention of a third party may damage your prospects of a free repair

spuds 18:26 10 Oct 10

If you have proof that Laptop Direct 'authorised and approved' that you went direct to Acer, then this would be okay, because it would still hold them liable.

If Laptop Direct deny that they instructed you to go to Acer, and you went there on your own decision, then LapTop Direct could refuse to assist in your claim, and they would or might not be held responsible for any further involvements.

If you do a search of the forum, you will find that Laptop Direct have instructed people to go direct to the manufacturer's on other occasions. So this isn't the first time this question as been raised by forum members. Not sure now what the outcomes were on the previous occasions, perhaps someone else as this information?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…