A Warranty Problem? Maybe

pj123 10:50 10 Feb 03

I have bought a new computer from a small local company with a 1 year RTB warranty on it.

I now want to add a CD/RW but the PC has warranty stickers on it which I will obviously have to break to install the CD/RW. The company has said that if I break these stickers the warranty becomes void and any future repairs will have to be paid for???

I seem to remember reading in various magazines including PCA that it is accepted that computers, by their very nature, will be upgraded from time to time by adding disk drives etc. and should not invalidate the warranty.

The company says that Trading Standards have told them that they are acting within the law?

does anyone know any different, please?

Thanks

Stuartli 12:34 10 Feb 03

This particular condition would be regarded as unacceptable and unreasonable in a court of law.

As you state, by their very nature computers are more than likely to be upgraded or checked for problems during their lifetime.

The computer is your property and I would suggest that you contact your own local Trading Standards department (they are always most helpful) and ascertain the true facts; usually contact can be made through the local council's main phone number.

It could well be that the company involved has made this allegation about the warranty becoming void for its own reasons - perhaps the specification isn't exactly as stated, for instance, or the workmanship leaves something to be desired.

No reasonable or reputable computer systems builder would attempt to impose such an unwarranted restriction on its customers.

TBH1 12:35 10 Feb 03

pj123 - a similar thread to this appeared last week, can't remember exactly when. I feel that if this company had told you categorically ( sorry for the delay, had to look that one up !!!) that you cannot break these stickers, you are somewhat 'snookered'. Suppose its not possible to take PC back for upgrades ?? Usually isn't as some comapanies charge an arm and a leg. My PC is from Evesham, like yours had stickers on the back but on phoning them up they said it would be fine to upgrade - a mate of mine just bought a Fujitsu Siemens jobbie from Comet and asked about future upgrades and was told it would be fine. Too late for you I know but always worth asking that question at point of sail. Sorry if this ain't the news you wanted to hear.

pj123 13:02 10 Feb 03

Like you say they would do the upgrade for me at the cost of an arm and a leg. I haven't opened it yet!.

I still have my old PC which has the CD/RW in it, all I want to do is transfer it to the new one.

I am not without the use of it but it is an older slower computer, which was the reason for buying a later version.

Maybe I just wait until the year is up and then transfer it. Not long now (about 7 months).

Thanks for your comment.

Pete

pj123 13:23 10 Feb 03

Unfortunately, my Trading Standards Office is the same as their Trading Standards Office. But I could still ring them - just to ask a question.

bfoc 13:33 10 Feb 03

I would certainly ask your TSO, and also tell them that the company is making this claim and check that the Office is happy being used this way!

It would certainly be 'reasonable' for you to have to pay for any repairs which were a direct result of any upgrades you make, but I really feel that buying something which has 'upgradeability' as a feature built in and then not being allowed to do so is unreasonable!

Do let us know what the outcome is.

graham 15:08 10 Feb 03

See click here

I bet the trader won't put his terms in writing!

Forum Editor 16:21 10 Feb 03

so many times in fact, that I'm getting a definitive answer direct from the Trading Standards Central office.

I hope this will happen today, so stand by.

oresome 16:28 10 Feb 03

Is it fair that the retailer continues to be liable for faults that may develop once the case has been opened and alterations made?
The person involved may not be competent to undertake the task and correct procedures regarding static handling may not have been observed. The retailer has no control whatsoever over this modification.
Attributing the exact cause of any failure after the event is well nigh impossible in these circumstances, so I can understand the retailers stance.

pj123 16:39 10 Feb 03

I agree entirely with what you say. But I have made every computer I have owned up to this point. I find it is now cheaper to buy a ready made unit than it is to buy all the bits and put it together yourself. I do have a wrist band and I do use it every time i open a PC. The main point of course is that if I put the CD/RW in and everything works perfect, what happens if (3 months down the line something goes wrong that is not related to the installation of the CD/RW?)You know like, the hard disk fails or the main power unit packs up?

where do I stand there?

pj123 16:43 10 Feb 03

Thanks FE, look forward to your feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…