bought what i thought was new monitor via retailer
6 weeks ago transpires its 3 years old
was sold as new with 3 year warranty
its u/s
retailer doesnt want to know
DAEWOO say its retailers resposibility
advice please

Southernboy 16:58 08 Sep 03

This reselling of returned goods is a real concern. I can't believe the retailer has had it in stock for three years, so it must be a refurbished model.

Monitors do have the date on manufacture on them -does anyone know what is a reasonable time scale between manufacture and sale? I would have said no more than three months.

wee eddie 18:46 08 Sep 03

Do you have the receipt?

How are the goods described?

Does the u/s in your post mean United States?

sopwith 19:54 08 Sep 03

the retailer was alocal company with 3 outlets
monitors are boxed unopend complete with warranty cards.
manufacturer is DAEWOO
when warranty card was sent off was returned
by post office marked no such address
contacted manufacturer said the monitor was madeat least 3 years ago (discontinued model)
u/s means unserviceable
hope this clarifies thigs
ps
was sold as new not recon or discontinued

spuds 20:09 08 Sep 03

A three warranty is usually issued by the monitor manufacturer, which you have suggested that Daewoo are the manufacturers. Your posting seems to suggest other abnormalities.(1)The monitor is three years old. That could well be correct. It is surprising how many 'older' monitors are in storage etc awaiting distribution. I have just purchased a 'new' Medion monitor which as a date stamp two years old.The manufacturers warranty will become active on the day that I register the warranty. My receipt from the retailer will be proof of my purchase. (2) You mention u/s retailer. Can you explain this further.If you purchased the monitor in the USA,and had it imported, then you could be on a very sticky wicket, with your warranty.Daewoo most likely have global zones, and import to the UK would perhaps invalidate your warranty.Hence the suggestion, that you have to take any concerns up, with the retailer.

If your purchased in the UK,then I would take your concern to the trading standards for their advice.

Rtus 20:52 08 Sep 03

End of line models & Leased /refurbished units are often sold with a "3year"RTB warranty.. As far as Im aware..Its up to the seller to replace not the manufacturer ,He then claims replacement from his supplier & they from theirs >> But do contact trading stadards for advice if needed ..

It is fairly straight forward as far as the retailer goes -

He sold you a monitor with a three year warranty. If this was mentioned to you at the point of sale (and a reason for you purchasing this particular monitor) then this becomes a term of the contract. If he now "does not want to know" then he is in breach of contract. If, on the other hand, the retailer is only passing you on to the manufacturer and his terms and conditions are that this is how replacements and repairs are undertaken then your gripe is with Daewoo. However, as it is only six weeks since you brought it, I would say it is very much down to the retailer.

Check to make sure that the warranty has not been invoked. For example, that the monitor has not been previously sold / used / registered. Whether the unit is one week or five years old, if it is brand spanking new and never been out of the box then the three year warranty will still be valid and a claim against Daewoo will stand. You simply cannot have a warranty that runs from the date of manufacture as all products would then be stockpiled in a warehouse before being released to the retailers with only a week to go before the warranty expires!!

In my opinion, go back to the shop and state that you want a replacement or refund and that you will invoke your rights if it is not forthcomming.

wee eddie 22:13 08 Sep 03

I assume that u/s can be taken to mean, either Dead on Arrival, or possibly it mean that after 6 weeks it broke down.

As the law stands, the seller is required to provide a product suitable for the purpose for which it was sold. So long as no action by yourself has made the product malfunction, e.g. The fault was present at the time the product was sold. Then the seller is responsible for correcting the problem.

If the seller will not respond. Take your receipt to the local Consumer Advice Centre. They will advise you as to the most suitable action.

sopwith 08:51 09 Sep 03

CHEERS ALL THANKS FOR THE ADVICE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…