warning AVG 7

steve1ooo 11:31 05 Jul 05

I have used avg anti virus for the past three years or so thinking i was protected , not so. After installing norton ghost 9 i happend to be on the norton homepage and took advantage of the offer to scan my pc.To my horror a trojan was detected. pws.hooker.trojan. I updated and ran avg.....nothing detected. Got onto the trend micro (PC cillin anti virus) web site and ran another scan. That detected the trojan as well. Unlike the Norton site it also removed it. AS you might have guessed i am upgrading my anti virus and will be deleting avg.The moral is ...you get what you pay for.

Jdoki 12:08 05 Jul 05

I've always suspected that not all virus checkers are created equal!

However, perhaps they just haven't issued an update yet to catch this problem.

<sigh> Will there ever be a day when I won't have to run Spybot, Adaware, a2, and now X number of virus checkers!!!

steve1ooo 12:10 05 Jul 05

hey....i ran spybot AD aware and several others but they didn`t detect it either

wee eddie 12:15 05 Jul 05

It's the name of the game.

They all do it.

To prove their system is better than the rest!

Belatucadrus 12:19 05 Jul 05

".you get what you pay for."

As the free version of AVG7 is a variant of the commercial AVG 7 professional @ £23.00 this creaky old adage doesn't apply. Browsing through this forum will give plenty of examples where AVG has picked up stuff that was missed by Norton and the other big players in the field.
Some AV products are better than others, but to assume that paying for something must automatically make it better is short sighted, it just isn't so. There are a lot of very expensive AV products out there that I wouldn't give disk space if you offered to pay me.

steve1ooo 12:50 05 Jul 05

Name VBS/LoveLet-BD
Type Worm

Aliases Loveletter.ad
Trojan.PWS.Hooker. VBS/Contract
VBS/Resume.A.Worm
Loveletter.BD

Stuartli 12:57 05 Jul 05

Try the free version of Avast - it updates itself if necessary each time you go or are online:

click here

I used to use AVG in all its various flavours - I always found it excellent - but after putting Avast on a friend's system because updating was considered an unnecessary chore by him, I decided to use it myself as well.

octal 15:16 05 Jul 05

"sigh> Will there ever be a day when I won't have to run Spybot, Adaware, a2, and now X number of virus checkers!!!"

When you run Linux :-D

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:08 05 Jul 05

Anti virus scanners are...anti virus scanners and will miss some trojans. the one you got is not a problem, is easily removable and you had nothing to be 'horrified' about. Put MS Antispy on and it will protect you in real time as well as scanning.

This is not the end of the world™

G

GANDALF <|:-)>
here here
you should not rely on one app to protect you surley your pride n joy should be worth a little effort to protect

pipedream 23:26 10 Jul 05

I've known AVG to pick up viruses/trojans that Norton has missed, so it works both ways.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…