Warning about Netbooks

ventanas 22:12 22 Dec 08

Just read this article click here in the news section of this site, and must say that I agree with almost none of it.
I've got two of these Netbooks and both have installed a full AV Suite and all the usual antispyware apps, contrary to what the article claims. Also to claim that they are capable of running only a handful of modest applications is ludicrous. OK, they have no optical drive, but all that is necessary is to copy any install files from a CD to a pen drive and carry on.
Mine have a full version XP Home, 1.6HHz processor, 1Gb memory, 120Gb hdd, WiFi and webcam.
You would have been lucky to get this on a desktop not so long ago.
But one thing I can agree with, these will be a constant worry when used commercially, am IT manager's nightmare I would think.

Grey Goo 22:43 22 Dec 08

Do you have the Samsung NC10 by any chance I was thinking of purchasing one.

Forum Editor 22:47 22 Dec 08

from Speakers Corner.

ventanas 10:37 23 Dec 08

No, two Advent 4490's

The only drawback, as far as I'm concerned, is the out of date OS. There does need to be a bit of processor and memory catch up before Vista could be considered, but it may not be too long, at which point I will replace them, Vista being far superior to XP.

Curio 18:50 23 Dec 08

Bought the wife a Samsung NC10 a few weeks ago. Well impressed with a really good keyboard. She is happy and it is kitted up with An Office Suite, Anti Virus, Antispyware and Firewall.

Grey Goo 00:04 24 Dec 08

Thanks for info.

GaT7 01:52 24 Dec 08

I took the article as mostly a warning for non-tech/non-security minded users who use LOW-specified netbooks with XP on them, & who might think adding any potentially resource-hungry application is likely to slow it down even further. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…