Wanting to buy a Netbook, advice appreciated!

gazmix 18:49 PM 17 Jan 12

Hi

I'm wanting to buy a Netbook! I've seen one in my local cash converters for £149. I can't recall the make off by heart, will post back to tell specs, but i know it has 160G HD, 1G RAM ( i think).

I don't like touch screens, just like the mini laptop style. What are the pro's & cons!

I am also living in a city center, so i guess i may be in a free wifi hotspot! Does this mean that in my flat i won't need a mobile internet dongle or BT connection.

Thanks

Gaz

ame 21:31 PM 17 Jan 12

Other end of the netbook spectrum is this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-IdeaPad-S205-11-6-Netbook/dp/B005TPRWNY/ref=sr11?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1326835450&sr=1-1 which will perform much better and last longer in terms of running new software etc. Twice the price but most netbooks have slow processors, not mutch ram capacity, etc. Remember you get no cd/dvd drive either with a netbook, which can be a pain sometimes if installing/reinstalling software. Free wifi tends to be pretty slow even if you are within range. You may get frequent dropped connections too.

canarieslover 21:44 PM 17 Jan 12

Unless you really only want it to access the web and email then think about a small laptop instead. Netbooks are pretty slow for anything at all serious. If its in Cash converters for £149 you can reckon that they only gave about £50 for it so you will be just as well off looking on eBay as you will not get a warranty from Cash Converters.

gazmix 11:54 AM 18 Jan 12

ok thanks!, i thought a netbook was a small laptop?, what is the difference?

i will post a little later the make as i've only seen it in the window, it may even be a small laptop!

Is there no warranty/guarantee at all at cash converters?

Woolwell 12:59 PM 18 Jan 12

Netbooks have small screens, normally don't have an optical drive, and a low grade processor. They are only really suitable for e-mail and browsing the net. If you want to play a cd or dvd then you can get an external drive. A laptop is altogether more sophisticated. Personally I would rather have a tablet than a netbook.

gazmix 13:30 PM 18 Jan 12

Emailing & browsing the net & youtube is all i would need it for as i have a pc set up somewhere else!

I will post later the make & model & specs of this item i have seen!

gazmix 17:17 PM 18 Jan 12

Ok, i have visited the shop & checked out the 2 that i've had my eye on.

An Emachines 350 with Windows XP, 1GB RAM, 160 GB HD, Intel Atom CPU that is £149.99.

also they have a Netbook with a minor fault in that when you move the screen, occasionally it goes white, maybe a faulty wire & the function key is not working. This is a Samsung NC10 with 250GB HD & 1Gb RAM at £90.. This looks nice & i saw it in action & the issue with the screen hardly occurs & maybe is fixable for a minimal cost!

I'd appreciate any help & will check back tomorrow.

Gaz

canarieslover 18:20 PM 18 Jan 12

If you are certain that you really want a netbook you could look on Argos eBay site Argos eBay where they have refurbished netbooks with a 12 month guarantee and around the £150 that you are looking to spend.

gazmix 13:53 PM 19 Jan 12

I will have a look on argos ebay site later, i just wondered if anyone could recomend one of the above models i mentioned.

Is the argos site a 'buy now' or 'bid' site.

Thanks

Woolwell 14:23 PM 19 Jan 12

"Is the argos site a 'buy now' or 'bid' site." Go to the site and you will find out.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…