Want Tp purchase TV online.

prince midas 13:51 07 Dec 05

I wish to purchase a Toshiba LCD widescreen 20 inch model.My local shops ask for £500. Looking on the internet I see that DIGITAL POINT of Birmingham are asking around £380 delivered. My worry is that are they reliable and as any of you used them. Also can I take the Toshiba to a local retailer under the 12 month guarantee.

Stuartli 14:10 07 Dec 05

My best mate runs an independent audio/visual/appliances outlet and is a member of Euronics, which is Europe's largest buying group.

About two years ago he virtually shut down his workshop and only his own customers are able to obtain repair work under or out of warranty without quibble.

The reason the decision was taken about the workshop is simple - virtually everyone these days demands the lowest possible prices and the best possible after sales service.

The two are incompatible. The cost of operating the workshop was such that it was a heavy drain on finances and so a decision had to be taken.

So, if someone likes you buys a product on the Internet or from the big high street outlets such as a television set or similar electronics equipment and later turn up in my best mate's shop and ask if he will repair a product, the first question is: "Where did you buy it?"

My best mate already knows the answer to that question as customers are well known and if the answer is from elsewhere, then they are firmly told to go back to the source if it is still within warranty.

If the equipment is out of warranty and it can be repaired, then a charge is made for a repair estimate; this is refunded if the repair work goes ahead.

The purpose of the estimate charge is because too many people are often taken aback by a repair charge and change their minds, as it often makes more economic sense to buy a new replacement.

If that happens at least my best mate is compensated for the time and labour taken to discover the cause of the problem and the cost of undertaking a repair.

So you will have to work out, if you buy online, what after sales care and attention is provided if, by any chance, your TV goes wrong.

Don't bank on an authorised local Toshiba dealership becoming involved if they haven't been involved in the original purchase.

I do have some words of comfort for you...:-)

Toshiba TVs are extremely reliable; I have three and the original, from 1990, is still performing excellent service in the home of my son and his wife.

prince midas 14:28 07 Dec 05

Thanks Stuartli.
My main concern is can I lose my money using an online suppier or will my credit card company refund me if I send to a duff sales company. As regards repair I am only concerned about the first 12 months manufactures warranty as after that I would pay a local dealer but again sending a TV back to Birmingham under warrenty is a bit of a drag.

Stuartli 15:26 07 Dec 05

If you purchase with a credit card then you will be covered for any potential problems.

You could also, if you bank with the Halifax, use its debit card with the Visa symbol (not Switch) for similar protection.

The Kestrel 15:37 07 Dec 05

I bought a JVC widescreen TV from Hughes Direct in East Anglia on line. I chose my own delivery day and time at no extra cost. The first TV had a fault programming the channels. On telephoning they were very apologetic and arranged an instant colection of the faulty TV and delivery of a new replacement TV without quibble. I would certainly recommend this firm.

prince midas 15:42 07 Dec 05

Thanks guys your comments noted.

jakimo 00:25 08 Dec 05

suggest you read these reviews.and certsainly check by phone the stock situation

click here

jakimo 00:28 08 Dec 05

correction, meant certainly,not certsaintly

Stuartli 09:53 08 Dec 05

You can now buy a Humax 20in LCD television for £299 that can also double up as a computer monitor.

Humax is the company that makes the top class F2 FOX-T Freeview set top box and the single and twin tuner HDD recorders.

Stuartli 10:00 08 Dec 05

Dixons is amongst the retailers selling the Humax:

click here

Stuartli 10:05 08 Dec 05

You might be better waiting until after Christmas when prices are likely to drop, whilst supplies of LCD and plasma TVs are becoming very scarce at present due to a shortage of panels.

One particularly big brand name's LCD models that have been ordered by many retailers are still unavailable at what is the busiest time of the year for them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…