W98 Life Cycle Extended?

BAC1-11 01:32 15 Jun 03

I'm in the US at the moment and overheard someone saying that the W98 life cycle has been extended because the the XP uptake hasn't been as big as expected. Anyone heard of this?

I ask because I intend to buy my XP upgrade copy in the US where it is about £20 cheaper than in the UK

accord 06:32 15 Jun 03

upgrade to XP if you can, you wont be disappointed.

ive been using it now for approx 9 monhs and have not had a single "blue screen of death" and its much much easier to use.

Sir Radfordin? 09:47 15 Jun 03

Yes the life cycle has been extended, but that doesn't mean that much - just that secruity flaws may be fixed and you may still be able to get support from M$.

As accord says, those who can upgrade to XP should. Its takes most of the pain out of computing and makes it an eXPerience to enjoy.

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:54 15 Jun 03

W98 has had all the 'fixes' and a good anti-virus will take care of any viruses. Ther eshould be no need to update it and it should run smoothly. On one of my computers I run 98 and have never visited the MS update site since 1999.

doctormac 10:42 15 Jun 03

Yes - I have also been running Win98 SE for ages and have no problems. To my mind, the major "plus" factor is that you can still work painlessly in DOS. This has been a life-saver on several occassions e.g. in order to delete a corrupted file which cannot be done when in Windows.

From a safety point, there are also a few vicious viruses that cannot be dealt with while in Windows - the only way to deal with these are from DOS. What are the XP fans going to do if this ever happens to them?

Did you know that you can download ALL the Win98 updates seperately (in other words, they arew not automatically installed on your PC) You can then save all of these to a CD. This means that at any t5ime in the future, you can install Win98 from scratch - and have all the updates all neatly "on tap" on your special CD. Neat!

Best wishes,

Forum Editor 11:10 15 Jun 03

between Windows XP uptake and the Win98SE life cycle.

To be honest, whether or not a life cycle is extended makes little difference does it? The operating system will continue to work just as well, and by the end of the projected life cycle the majority of desktop users will be running a different operating system anyway.

What drives a new operating system in terms of uptake is its installation on all new computers sold. Unless you specify otherwise your new machine will automatically come with WindowsXP, and a new generation of computer users will know virtually nothing of Windows 98. I certainly haven't heard that the WindowsXP uptake has been slow - in fact I've heard exactly the opposite - but I'm talking to some fairly senior Microsoft people tomorrow, and I'll ask them.

If you are contemplating moving to Windows XP I can see no good reason to hesitate. It's incredibly stable, runs fast, has some very nice features, and the remote access facility has changed the way I work with clients who are too far away to make a quick visit a possibility.

Valvegrid 13:51 15 Jun 03

As doctormac says backup all the updates to disk, not forgetting IE6 for windows 98 to disk as well.

Carafaraday 14:17 15 Jun 03

Could you possibly explain in very basic terms how I would go about downloading and saving the updates separately to cd? I have been updated my Windows 98SE with all the security stuff (and with IE6) but nothing else and would be relieved to know that if I ever have to do a reinstall I would have the updates to hand.

I don't have broadband, and my connection is not that great - have you any idea how long the download would take?

Thanks for your time.

Valvegrid 18:55 15 Jun 03

doctormac doesn't seem to be listening at the moment. To give you some idea the size of these files the Windows 98SE updates are 20.2MB and the IE6 is 19.8MB. This would take you ages to download, also, I don't find the Microsoft site the most user friendly. You can usually get IE6 on some magazine cover disks.

To download IE6: If you remember when you installed IE6 you downloaded a small 480k file, when you run the file it took you back to the MS site to download the main program, you are given two options

1) Typical install

2) Custom install

Select custom install, you are then given the option of downloading the program to your disk for later installation, you can download it anywhere ready for burning to CD.

To download the 98SE updates click here and select what updates you require then put them in the basket ready for downloading.

If you are not sure of any of this malarkey the last option is send me an email and I'll burn 'em for you.

Hope this helps?

Valvegrid 18:57 15 Jun 03

By the way, when you click on the link, go to Windows Update Catalog, in the bottom of the left hand pane.

Stuartli 19:31 15 Jun 03

Cover disk versions of IE6 are useful but are several months old and still require all the security patches, updates etc to be downloaded.

By using the Windows Update Catalog, you can select only the upgrades etc that are pertinent to you - some of them are not relevant for the ordinary Win98(SE) user.

By saving them when downloading to a new folder named something on the lines of Win98 Update/Service Packs, you can install them at your leisure and burn them to a CD-R for possible future use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…