VOIP internet telephone

kiki769 18:15 06 Jun 06

As I spend a lot of money calling Italy, I am now considering using VOIP system which is free. I would like to buy a VOIP internet telephone so that the conversation would be clearer.
Could anyone that is using this method, advise me on the best VOIP telephone I could buy.

megapack 19:13 06 Jun 06

I have just purchased VOIP phone, to use with Skype. The model is Cyberphone W V654SK.

Ikelos 20:28 06 Jun 06

I use the Voip cyberphoneW V654.

Ikelos 20:30 06 Jun 06

oh, just noticed megapack uses the same, they must be good :-))

DieSse 00:09 07 Jun 06

There are three different ways to acheive this

A "sort-of" phone - which actually connects to you computer, and operates through it. Basically a headset can do this - though some have extra facilities built-in which make them more "phone-like"

An IP Phone - which connects directly into an ethernet connection and thence into the router/modem (or even directly straight into an ethernet socket on the router)and onwards into the lin, and so is independant of your computer

An IP adapter - which connects as above into ethernot, but lets you use an ordinary telephone. This is more flexible as you can use any kind of one or more standard phones, including cordless.

There are also routers which have an IP adapter built in - often with a couple of standard telephone sockets.

DieSse 00:13 07 Jun 06

You can also use Gizmo instead of Skype - it has some advantages over Skype. click here

I use it calling from Spain to the UK and find it very good.

DieSse 00:18 07 Jun 06

Newish review of Gizmo here click here

kiki769 17:03 07 Jun 06

Thanks for all your advices. I have just tried VOIPCHEAP with my microphone and speakers and it sounds very good. Even though I would prefer a telephone for more privacy. Would it also improve the quality of sound ? VOICHEAP seems good as you can make free phonecalls to landline phones of people who do not have a PC. As I am very new to all this I wonder if "it is too good to be true" and there are some hidden costs. As anyone tried it ? Also I read somewhere that every few minutes you get interrupted unless you pay for the phonecall. I would appreciate any help, please. Thank you

DieSse 17:25 07 Jun 06

*Even though I would prefer a telephone for more privacy.*

A headset will give you the same privacy as a telephone, as less cost. Though a decent headset is well worth getting.

You'll have to make your own mind up about VoICheap - it can't be free for them - so it can't continue for ever.

VoIP is low cost anyway - so it's never going to cost an arm and a leg. If the party you are calling has a computer, then computer-to-computer calls are free using VoIP or simply MSMessenger (where you can also use a webcam too, and get a "videophone".)

john bunyan 17:14 27 Feb 09

I use Vonage. You plug their little adapter into your broadband modem with an ethernet cable and they give you a (second) phone number. Then you can use a normal phone - I use a base and cordless phone. The PC does not have to be on. It is about £8 a month and there are various option re countries you can have. I have USA, Canada, Australia, Ireland , Germany and UK. I keep my BT line for broadband and as a second phone. There are cheaper total packages but I find them very good on service etc, and they only want a one month rolling contract.You phone anyone on normal telephone, not just people with broadband. Vonage.co.uk

EnzoVNG 17:18 19 Mar 09

Hi Kiki

Really good to hear you opted for Vonage in the end!
Please let me know if you are enjoying the service

If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me directly - I work for Vonage and more than happy to help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…