vista harddisk problem audio/video dropouts

sonicht 12:18 07 Oct 07

I've got massive problems when running any audio/video applications (media player, vlc, ableton live). I keep getting audio/video dropouts even if i'm only watching an .avi video in media player.

I has occurred to me that even with no programs open the harddisk keeps starting up (as in starts spinning briefly) every 30 seconds or so, which seems to cause the dropouts in audio and video. My harddisk is the samsung hm160ji.

System:

HP Pavilion Laptop dv2530ea
2GB RAM
Intel Duo Core 1.88GHz
Windows Vista Home Premium

The thing is brandnew, hardly any programs installed and plenty of harddisk space. Just seems like the system is extremely unstable, using up around 600MB RAM just on the desktop, but I'm pretty sure that the dropouts are cause by the harddisk starting to spin. Any ideas on how to stablelise the harddisk?

€dstowe 13:58 07 Oct 07

Sounds of the hard drive stopping and starting are a sign the something is wrong. As it is a new machine, contact the supplier and insist that something is done about it.

I'm not sure of the details of your rights on this but, the law is on your side and it is incumbent on the supplier to sort you out.

How did you pay for this machine? If by credit card, tell your card company about it just in case you get any flak from the supplier.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…