Vista.

rdave13 16:19 28 Jul 07

Having read about a lot of problems with Vista I decided to buy a cheap laptop with
Vista home premium installed. CPU a lowly 1.73 MHz and 1024 MB ram.
Integrated graphics :Video Adapter Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family (224 MB) and the machine runs very well considering it's specification. The laptop will even run
the new game I purchased ; Attack on Pearl Harbour, albeit in the lowest mode.
Seems to me that Microsoft have got it right this time but upgrading an XP machine
to Vista brings along driver problems etc.
Had to disable UAC as it not only got on my nerves but stopped Ccleaner (one of my favourite apps.) working. So well done Microsoft.
When direcX 10 comes along and software developers get to grips with it, will it mean
the demise of the game console?

PP321 17:38 28 Jul 07

Vista forum?

rdave13 18:05 28 Jul 07

Is it? Have no problem with Vista, so far, just airing my views about Vista as a consumer. Of course you may correct me if I'm wrong.

PP321 18:35 28 Jul 07

Fair enough.

For the record i HATE vista haha.

rdave13 18:55 28 Jul 07

So I had my doubts. Now though I'm not so sure. Seems to work very well on a dedicated machine even though the cpu is, to be blunt, crap. Ram is the basic for Vista and the graphics is dismal. Still the laptop struggles to work at playing the said game. Noticed though that after playing the game the ram usage plummets to 45% or so. Before playing the normal ram usage was 58% usage. Seems that Vista has a good way of allocating ram to where it's needed. I'm still impressed by this OS.

hi Rdave13, as you may have read i have a bit of a love hate relationship with vista, i have ultimate on a second pc, and although some days i log off after a couple of minutes, because it annoys me, i think it's going to be the way forward. it puzzles me at the speed they stated working on it's replacement so quickly vienna/ windows 7 or whatever it's called this week.
On games and nvidia forums a few weeks ago everyone was singing direct x 9L and the fact that the top 15% of 3dmark pc's all ran xp pro. But i think nvidia etc are working harder than ever on vista drivers and the xp guys are finding this annoying for now my xp pc is worlds better than my vista pc, but it's a slightly better spec and it's running 2006/7 games, i think time will tell what happens. but xp is very old and it really cant go on for ever.
im pleased you're enjoying it another gb of ram will help with speeds, but you are correct about ram usage, i have tried my vista pc with 1/2 and 4 gb of ram and the ram usage didnt change much just the speed of the programs.
although i am running ultimate i am thinking home basic may be the best gaming platform maybe?

rdave13 16:04 29 Jul 07

Never thought about home basic as a better OS for a games machine. Makes sense though as it uses less resources.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now