Visa Electron at online computer stores

dave_the_red 10:09 09 Sep 04

My problem is that I used to have a Solo card through the halifax bank but they have changed my card to a Visa Electron, I used to be able to shop online with solo but can not find any computer stores online that accept Visa Electron. Does anybody know of any?

Thanks

Dave

Baledor 10:53 09 Sep 04

I phoned the Halifax to complain but the operator on the end of the line assured me that most banks and building societies would be making a change. This is due to Switch becoming Meastro (another European brand being forced on us) and as Solo was part of Switch it is being nicely dropped, hence the adoption of Visa Electron by the Halifax.

I used to have an account with the Abbey National, some years ago, which was Visa Electron and the amount of high street shops that accepted it you could count on one hand. I have found, now that I am being forced to use it again, that more shops seems to accept it, but I have found, as you have, that the online support for it is appalling.

I don't know what is happening with the Switch/Solo/Meastro affair for banks who are not adopting the Visa Electron/Visa Debit path as my wife and I have just come back from 2 weeks in Greece, Zakynthos to be precise, and after 2 days of being there, we had to go back to the safety deposit box and get my Visa Electron card as no one accepted her new (Natwest) Meastro card????

Baledor 10:55 09 Sep 04

Amazon take it.

christmascracker 11:14 09 Sep 04

Apart from Amazon, these two accept electron too

click here

click here

dave_the_red 12:25 09 Sep 04

Thanks for the links christmascracker and for the info baledor. I did not think to check Amazon. Thanks again.

Gaz 25 12:27 09 Sep 04

Microdirect @ click here also take it.

Stuartli 14:08 09 Sep 04

"It differs from a VISA DELTA card because all transactions using the Electron card must be authorised by the issuing organisation before the funds can be taken. The value of your transaction, however big or small, is immediately 'earmarked' against the available balance in your current account meaning the transaction can't take you overdrawn."

A UK bicycle company states on its website: "We do not accept Visa Electron cards as they require the cardholder to be present in person with the card so it can be physically swiped through the machine."

If I remember rightly some retailers also objected to the charges imposed by Visa on customers' purchases, but may be wrong.

I have bought things through ebuyer using my Visa Electron

click here

I cannot have any other cards as I am only 16 but I have not found any high street shops that have refused it yet...am i just lucky?

Forum Editor 19:16 09 Sep 04

will not accept Electro cards as well as lots of online retailers. The main problem with Electrons is that they were primarily aimed at young people - at 16 you could get an Electron card when you couldn't get anything else. The card carries more financial restraints than most others, and your balance must be checked before a purchase may be made. Many retailers shied away from Electrons initially because they feared that young people might attempt to use them to buy age-prohibited goods. In the main you'll have no problem if you want to use the card to buy from an American site, but you won't be so lucky in the UK.

Gaz 25 21:44 09 Sep 04

because why dont they just block any transactions for items which should not be purchaced by young adults.

The electron is a good way of helping people not get into debt though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…