Virus scans

geoff47 01:52 21 Nov 04

I have AVG anti virus and Zonealarm installed but downloaded and installed Xoftspy (cos Im paranoic) and it showed several worms trojans and other items too many to mention in fact...but to remove them you had to register(pay) for the program.I panicked and took another scan online at Trend micro....didnt find the list that Xoftspy claimed to find.
Am I being suspicious or is this just a ploy for me to purchase said software? And although it maybe a clever sales technique,is it legal or even ethical?
Geoff47

powerless 04:25 21 Nov 04

Do a google and from i can see it's a phoney.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:34 21 Nov 04

In the interests of the forum hive mind I whacked this onto my computer. Miraculously it found that my computer was riddled with worms and trojans...even more miraculously I could not find any of them myself, even after a thorough search. Either I am going bonkers or the programme stinks....my mental health is not in question so the programme was deleted.

If you have a good AV such as AVG, Adaware from click here and lay off the mucky sites where people habitually forget to bring their clothing and P2P (Kazaa etc), then you are well protected. There are a couple of other programmes you can have as well but AVG and Adaware are all that I run and I get no problems, having 8 ish programmes running is a bit OTT.

There is a huge amount of rubbish and paranoia generated over viruses, hacking and 'spyware' on HOME computers. This is used profitably by many 'software' suppliers.

G

bertiecharlie 13:54 21 Nov 04

The programme is on this list click here

geoff47 18:59 21 Nov 04

I thought I was gullible but not as much as these people would like me to be obviously.
I have Adaware already so I will relax.
Thanks for the response,I can now rest easy.
Geoff47

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…