virus protection?

MUPPET1 09:19 08 Feb 05

Please help,
what is a firewall and is it recommeded to buy a virus software package at the time of buying a new computer? thanks

CurlyWhirly 10:17 08 Feb 05

click here=

click here=

Yes, both are essential in my opinion.

spuds 10:35 08 Feb 05

This question is raised on a weekly basis, and the answer is usually the same.Firewalls and Anti-Virus protection is a good safeguard, and one that should be used and updated as necessary.

You do not have to purchase these, as there are some very good free downloads available. AVG is a well recommended Anti-Virus protection click here and a very well recommended Firewall is ZoneAlarm click here I f you are using Microsoft XP, then this as a firewall available, but I would suggest that you use ZoneAlarm as this as a two way protection.

I would also suggest that you use products that help to stop other unwanted things invading your computer. AdAware click here SpyBot click here Spyware Blaster click here

You could also check out this site click here for more information.

MUPPET1 11:24 08 Feb 05

thanks for the advice will have a look at the sites suggested

freaky 21:16 08 Feb 05

Worth adding to the list is some Anti-Spam software, especially if you are on Broadband.

Might well be worth you considering buying something like Norton Internet Security. This is a complete package of Firewall, Anti-Virus and Anti-Spam. This can be purchased from PcWorld for about £25 and includes free updates for a year.

The advantage of one package, is that the programs are designed to interact with each other. Whereas if you use a number of different products as suggested above, then you can get problems because of conflicts.

The only freebies I use in addition to Norton is Spybot and Ad-aware.

I did have ZoneAlarm and ZoneAlarm Pro, they are very good, but can cause problems unless you know how to configure them.

These are my thoughts, so hope you find them useful.

spuds 23:24 08 Feb 05

I think that you will find the downloads that I have suggested will all work fine together, and you should have no problems of conflicition. I have used these combinations for quite a long time now, as have many other people. All free to download and use,and all have regular updates, with usual reminders via this forum.

historydavid 23:44 08 Feb 05

I would endorse everything Spuds has said, except for Spyware Blaster, which I have not used.

I have AVG, Zone Alarm and Spybot as well as Ad-Aware SE Personal (available from Lavasoft). The two spyware programmes cover each other and if something is missed by one, the other usually picks it up.

The great thing about all of these is that they are free and frequently updated.

Best wishes

MUPPET1 13:59 09 Feb 05

thnaks so much for all the advice. I feel better informed now and will give the freebees a shot
cheers and thnakd again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…