virus affected electronics

3D9 14:55 23 Jun 06

In the past few weeks, I have been told by various Ebayers that the mps players that they have purchased have had viruses on them.
I did not beleive these people but, I was shocked that the new Mp3 player that I bought for my daughter through ebay (not ebays falut in any way) DID have a few viruses on it!
I was able to format the mps players drive and got rid of the viruses....
So, just be careful when you these products.
How and why I ask, are viruses getting placed onto these products?

REGARDS

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:59 23 Jun 06

MP3 players are merely storage devices like a hard disk and if people download from Limewire etc. there is a chance that the download will have a virus which will be transferred to the MP3 although this can happen at the factory.....click here. It should not affect the MP3 player but might infect a computer that does not have an up to date AV. If the device had a virus on it when you bought it and it was not a Creative model I would say it was second hand.

G

rodriguez 15:02 23 Jun 06

Some MP3 files might contain a virus of some kind that gets copied to the player as it plays, but this is unlikely. A more likely reason is MP3 players can have their firmware upgraded. If these firmware upgrades come from a source other than the manufacturer, they can have viruses written in them. I have an iRiver H10 and I only download firmware updates from iRiver's site and nowhere else. People might start to write viruses fpr MP3 players as they are popular and can be easily targeted, espicially iPods. The OS for the iPod isn't that hard to rewrite as some people have run basic versions of Linux on their iPods as a modification. If you get another virus on it, download new firmware from the manufacturer's site, format the player's hard drive and install the new firmware.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…