VirginMedia Broadband - 50Mbps?

WaTcHiNg 00:11 12 Apr 07

Last week I had a new cable modem installed. I was previously using a set top box until I found out that they were unreliable above 5Mbps - shame I'd been paying for 10Mbps for 12 months when I found out.
Long story short, modem was installed, engineer left before it was working because 'computer things' weren't his forte and 'I seemed to know what I was doing and had more of a chance of getting it working than he had'.
5 mins later I got it working to find that they had put me on their 4Mbps package instead of 10Mbps. That duly changed, I was having loads of problems with upload speed. Every speed test I ran came back with slow (or no) upload speeds and my FTP transfers frequently failed.
I called Virgin Media tonight and after wasting 30 mins with a young girl who went through the standard fault resolution questions decided that my FTP app was at fault (despite the problem being on 4 PCs since they installed the new modem). At this point I lost my rag and (rather ashemedly) reduced her to tears before she finally passed me onto a real techie who realised that when the modem had been connected it had not correctly downloaded a settings file and so had defaulted to the lowest speeds possible. He recreated my modem on the system, I rebooted the modem and all now works hunky dorey.

During our conversation we got to discussing the planned 20Mbps upgrades to customers on the XL (10Mbps) package due to start in May. He told me that they were looking at 50Mbps later this year!
He wouldn't release details of the plans (quoting corporate strategy etc) but I'm quite excited about the prospect of 50Mbps downloads!

PP321 10:09 12 Apr 07

to be honest, all these speed upgrades issues were fought out on different forums when the 10mb service was in beta.

having a d/l speed of 50mbps (5.4Mb/sec) is fine..

Finding websites that can keep up with that speed is another matter.

pj123 17:09 12 Apr 07

I am on NTL, now Virgin Broadband at 4mb (£25 per month).

Over the last few days I have found it to be very slow. I tried to download a 36mb update file for one of my programs. It started off OK at 482kbs but within 3 seconds it had dropped to 23kbs. I think that was slower than my dialup modem??? Obviously, I aborted the download.

I will try again another time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…