Virgin package problem

gardener 13:44 22 Sep 07

I use Virgin broadband and two weeks ago I decided to take up their offer of a broadband and phone package for £20. A few days later I received an email saying that Virgin couldn’t transfer the phone connection because it was ‘owned by Pipex’, or words to that effect. I was told to contact BT and resubscribe to them and then Virgin could transfer me onto their phone system.

On contacting BT I was told that all Virgin need to do is ‘number port’ from Pipex (whatever that means) and there was no need to resubscribe to BT, and in any case I was told it would cost me around £50 to go back to BT.

I subsequently emailed Virgin asking them to clarify the situation and of course I’ve had no reply, which I’ve found to be par for the course. I am not prepared to spend half an hour waiting for Virgin’s customer support to answer the phone. So I just wondered if anyone else has had the same problem and was it resolved?

techie4me 09:43 23 Sep 07

Did you or someone else have your Internet previously from Pipex?
If so until you ask them to release your line you can not move over to Virgin.

Terry Brown 11:10 23 Sep 07

Are you still under a term contract with Pipex (normally 12- 18 months), if so you have a problem -either stay with pipex or pay the rest of the term and ask to be released.
Terry

gardener 14:24 23 Sep 07

Thanks for the replies. We have always been with Virgin for internet access but we use Pipex for the phone. We are not under a term contract with Pipex.

As I say, BT says it's a simple matter of number porting for Virgin, but Virgin apparently doesn't agree.

techie4me 14:37 23 Sep 07

Pipex will technicaly own your line, so you need to get written permission in the form of a letter to prove to Virgin you are able to use their service.

Virgin will not be able to provide you a service until this is done!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…