Virgin adsl

baldydave 18:21 12 Jun 09

Hi,
I would like your views please on broadband/phone bundles.
I am currently on Virgin adsl but since their "upgrade"(had no choice,just told by email) they did,I am getting constant disconnects and slower speeds.
I have been with Virgin for 8 years with no real trouble before this,but when trying to contact Virgin it is hopeless,they dont answer emails / you spend ages on the phone and end up talking to people who have not got a clue unless it is on their piece of paper and even cut off mid sentence.
I am not staying/paying for poor service and terrible customer service
So please can you help with your views of other isps.
Thank you for your time.

RobCharles1981 18:42 12 Jun 09

Hi there, I'm not that technical on phone deals my parents are with BT and I'm with ADSL24 as my ISP.

I honestly don't blame you about leaving Virgin Media ADSL. Some years ago I went with them I was appalled with the speed and service given I left them after 10 days.

You can have a look at the ratings on the click here website about them shocking stuff I have to say.

Before we go any further what is the Make of your modem/router? I need to see your full line stats to determine what speed you can get on your line.

Can you tell me what Samknows says is at your exchange? Post back the full results.

click here

baldydave 19:32 12 Jun 09

Hi,
the router is a Netgear dg834g and sam knows
click here

Line speed 5-7mps

RobCharles1981 20:50 12 Jun 09

To Get Your Line Stats follow the instructions here:

There is a page within the router GUI that displays the line stats. Click the link below.

click here

If you are prompted to login, the username is admin and the password is password.

You are in an LLU Exchange which means you get more bang for your buck!

Sky/Easynet are very good

Are you Sky TV Sub Subscriber? Or you can can consider UKonline ??

baldydave 21:14 12 Jun 09

Hi,
Here are the readings, also in the info is the heading collisions 0

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4966 kbps 875 kbps
Line Attenuation 45 db 13 db
Noise Margin 6 db 5 db

Yes I have Sky but have had conflicking(some good and some bad) views but I guess they must be better than Virgin.
I will try and get MAC code off Virgin and move to Sky.
I guess my battle starts now,trying to get the MAC code off Virgin.
Thank you

RobCharles1981 21:49 12 Jun 09

With a Line Attenuation of 45 you should be getting about 8meg so let us know how you get on.

wiz-king 10:42 13 Jun 09

I take a very belt & braces attitude.
I have both gas and electricity and can cook and heat the house with either, I have a land-line phone and a mobile, I have broadband via cable and also via the land line (with two different ISPs). I have battery backup for lights and power - doesn't last long but the look on peoples faces when I am watching TV during a power cut makes it worth while! I can get TV from two different areas, a local relay or on broadband.

Am I paranoid not putting all my eggs in one basket?

birdface 11:46 13 Jun 09

Well trying to contact them by e-mail is a waste of time.If they have upgraded his speed he may need a new modem,
Phone them.tell them you want an engineer out.They usually will do this or send you a new modem.
If you have no luck there .Go to dissconections Tell them that you are fed up with all the problems and you want to leave.

I take it you do not have the phone included in the package thats why you are sending text messages.
If you had the phone it was just a matter of dialing 150 as it is free.And just keep phoning until you got connected to someone from the UK.

Demand an engineer out and don't take no for an answer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…