Viglen, Dell, NEC - comments re service -Good/Bad

jo nathan 00:13 12 Dec 03

I am in the process of buying a new pc and prefer those that come from SOHO providers that offer on site warranties. Just interested to hear other people's experiences with Viglen, Dell and Nec as these are companies I have looked at. HOw have you found their customer services and support people?

Also with regard to Graphics card, I am using this for general office work but intend to do some video editing as well. Would a Radeon 9200 card be ok?

Sir Radfordin 00:28 12 Dec 03

Having dealth with Viglen as both a home user and in a business environment I can honestly say you can buy better for less, and will be hard push to find worse customer service.

Dell however have a much better record and if you can afford to spend the money for one of their systems I would do so.

NEC aren't one of the 'big' names but that may not be a bad thing.

byfordr 16:23 12 Dec 03

Dell are generally good. I haven't ordered from the website yet but have ordered 3 times through their sales line. Their Irish sales guys are very good with good knowledge of the product, the Indian representatives are very polite, but seem to have very limited knowledge of dells products.

Depending how heavily you are going to get into video editing the 9200 should be fine. Watch out if its a SE as these have slightly less power than the other cards in the 9200 range.

ihatedell 22:29 30 Dec 03

I have no idea about NEC computers, but the service and support they provide for their monitors is absolutely first class. If the whole company is run as well you cant go wrong with them.

Three guesses what I think of Dell...........

bfoc 23:12 30 Dec 03

Both Dell and Viglen machines.

The Dell is now 6 years old and still going, the Viglen is 4 years old and is also still in daily use.

Both machines had faults on delivery (I am unlucky!), the Dell a minor one which took a while to sort out and the Viglen a major one which was sorted out in 3 days.

After 33 months the Viglen developed a major fault (I had a 3yr on-site warranty)and the engineer arrived within 3 days and, rather than find out if it was the power supply or motherboard, changed both!

No personal knowledge of NEC.

Dekka123 10:28 01 Jan 04

I have had an NEC machine for nearly 3 yrs now and its still going strong. It does everything the Company said it would and I am very happy with them. The computer arrived with a sound problem phoned them up and next day chap came put things right and apologised for my trouble. That is the only time I have used there service as the machine has worked fine since. I know where I will be going for my next computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…