Very Noisy Medion

Gorillaz 08:38 27 Aug 03

Just purchased a Medion XP3000 from PC World, the noise from the fan is really bad, it is on all the time and it is diving me crazy. PC World say this is normal and it is acceptable. Is there a standard for an accepatble noise level? I may just be unlucky and have a very noisy, and I mean very noisy PC, are there any other Medion owners with this problem?
When I asked why the model in the showroom was not noisy I was told they are not running the same as a normal PC. Anyone thinking of buying make sure they have a poper demo first.

-pops- 08:56 27 Aug 03

"they are not running the same as a normal PC"

Poppycock!!!!

I would have used another term but it's not permitted.

PCs run or they don't run, that's all there is to it. You are being given the run around. Insist that something is done.

Computers are tending to get noisier as they get more powerful but there is no reason why yours should be appreciably noisier than the ones in the showroom.

Jester2K II 09:19 27 Aug 03

Gorillaz - what is the exact model or spec?

It could be that you have something like a GeForce FX 5800 with the very noisy fan. So noisy even NVidia Execs took the mickey in a video on their website by comparing to to a leaf blower and various other power tools.

Can you narrow down where the noise is coming from? (ie where abouts in the case?)

Gorillaz 09:43 27 Aug 03

HiJester2K1II
Spec as follows: -AMD Athlon XP 3000+ processor
with 128Mb Geforce FX5200 graphics. Noise seems to be coming out of the grille for the power supply fan. Even my laptop which uses a desktop 2.6 P4 does not sound anywhere near as bad even when I am carrying out processor intensive tasks.

Jester2K II 09:46 27 Aug 03

Sounds like a dodgy PSU - Insist that PC World try swapping it. At least get them to listen to it..

Giantsquid 09:50 27 Aug 03

I have the above Medion and it's quiet, simple as that and this is a powerful machine, take it back in and ask them to bench test against another Medion, this should help, good luck.

Gorillaz 11:16 27 Aug 03

Off to PC World to try to change it, if not then if they prove the noise is normal compared to other Medions they have in stock then my money back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…