Verified by Visa Scam - Wrong Password

Border View 09:56 AM 19 Oct 11

Think I have just had my first scam e-mail. Purported to come from VBV/MSC ([email protected]).

It had the two logos Verified by VISA and MasterCard SecureCode. It told me:

Wrong Password

Our records show that someone tried to enter your Verified by Visa/Mastercard password three times in a row. This password protects you from unauthorized online use of your credit card. For your safety please change your password now.

There was then a link to Change password!

I ignored the e-mail.

Just thought I would give a heads up to members of the forum to watch out for this one.

Aitchbee 10:43 AM 19 Oct 11

Thanks for the warning, Borderview. I will pass it on to others.

mark11 12:53 PM 19 Oct 11

Yes got the same mail - link navigated me to

http://zagreb.sdp.hr/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/owd/jabuka/zagreb/www.mastercard.com/www.verifiedbyvisa/login/account/changepassword/vbv/UK/index.html

Where they request account & personal details - obviously a scam watch out

Forum Editor 18:56 PM 19 Oct 11

Thank you for the heads up. It highlights the need for constant vigilance where personal information security is concerned.

It's worth adding that VISA will never email you if there's any kind of a problem with your card. They'll call you sometimes, if their software spots something that contrasts with your normal card use profile. If they suspect a fraud however, they'll usually invalidate your card, and the first you'll know about it is when you next try to use it, and the merchant or shop gets a 'transaction declined' message.

Border View 20:09 PM 19 Oct 11

Kind regards - Will keep a watch out for others.

morddwyd 20:17 PM 19 Oct 11

Thank you.

Thoth3 13:54 PM 31 Oct 11

I think it's a good idea to report all bogus e-mails of this sort to this address.

http://www.actionfraud.org.uk/help-disrupt-fraudsters-by-reporting-scam-emails-feb11

Hopefully they will close the site and prevent inexperienced net users from being scammed.

Mike C...

alB 14:22 PM 31 Oct 11

Another interesting site that lists scam emails etc..millersmiles ...alB

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to choose a photographer

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone