Using Symantec (Norton) Security Check

freaky 21:48 19 Feb 07

As a matter of interest I ran this program on two PC's: -

PC(A) with Windows Live OneCare

PC(B) with AVG free/AVG Anti-Spyware and Sunbelt Software Kerio Firewall.

On the AntiVirus test they were both OK.

They both failed the security check on: -
Ping
SSH
HTTP

If you want to try it yourself then go to Symantec.Com and search for "Security Check" it will be necessary to download a few Active X controls for the program to run, but you can delete these later.

The subject of security is always an issue raised on the forum, so this test might be of interest.

birdface 12:16 20 Feb 07

Test may well be correct,But i am quite happy with AVG,So its not perfect,but still prefer it to Norton.

J B 13:02 20 Feb 07

I just used the test and I got five green checks. I know that I have been asking you about WLOC recently, but I decided to stick with NIS 2007 for a while. It is a good program and it doesn't slow down my computer. I think that it is a case of better the devil you know. Talk to you later. J.B.

freaky 13:36 20 Feb 07

The Ping-SSH-HTTP all relate to the security of the Firewall. As AVG is purely anti-virus, then the test results are nothing to do with AVG !

The results reflect on the Kerio and LOC firewalls. Hope this clarifies your thread.

birdface 14:58 21 Feb 07

It does freaky,And thanks for pointing it out to me.

Teaboy 17:07 21 Feb 07

"shields up", might be a better test for security checks. Less vested interest!

Spark6 17:27 21 Feb 07

You beat me to it. To use one manufacturer' kit to test the opposition's and then broadcast the results seems rather naive to me.

freaky 18:14 21 Feb 07

Agree totally, but the Symantec test was the only one I knew.

Can you supply a link to "Shields Up" or any others you know so I can run the test again.

Spark6 20:16 21 Feb 07

Shields up click here

freaky 20:41 21 Feb 07

Thanks for the link.....ran all the tests and both Kerio & Windows Live OneCare Firewalls passed 100%.

freaky 18:32 24 Feb 07

Will close this topic now, thanks for the replies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…