using the powerlines in your home for my network

matthew-275741 04:34 03 May 04

I was reading in a mag that HP have brought out a technology that uses your home electric cables to "piggie back" home network traffic and I was wondering if I was to use this type of network that other people with the same type of network ie someone else in the street might be able to access my pc's and just how secure this type of network is

€dstowe 07:00 03 May 04

This technology has been around for ages. We took part in a trial some time ago for Internet access and for networking a small office. It has loads of problems attached to it, not least mains spikes, general interference and noise. It caused so much data corruption and loss we gave up with it after one day.

No doubt things will improve but not for a while.

To answer your point, though. You are given a frequency to operate on and it is assured that no-one nearby has the same frequency. The interference and cable losses of such a small signal as is generated in a system like this means that the data is dissipated or swamped by the huge power capacity after a fairly short distance so there shouldn't be a problem of eavesdropping.

Stuartli 08:27 03 May 04

We've been through this subject at considerable length recently:

click here

matthew-275741 14:39 03 May 04

I so it sounds like this would'nt be a good idea. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…