Use of OEM in self-build. Permissable?

frybluff 13:23 PM 16 Jul 12
Answered

I appreciate that OEM is intended for system builders, who are selling the end product, but have heard the arguement "I am buiding a system, and MAY sell it, in the future", but presume that's stretching a point. On many things there's not a large price difference, but for some things, like Windows, there's a huge difference between OEM, and retail, prices.

Are there potential issues/ problems, arising from the use of OEM, or is that the resposibility of the seller? On some sites, if you enqire about OEM, you get a stern warning "OEM products are intended ..."

Forum Editor 13:27 PM 16 Jul 12
Answer

A couple of years ago I went into all this with Microsoft in some detail. At the time I managed to elicit the information that, provided a person was using the OEM licence on a brand new, home-built machine there would not be a problem.

As far as I'm concerned that is still the position, so go ahead. If you ever get a knock on the door from a Microsoft lawyer tell him/her to contact me.

frybluff 14:40 PM 16 Jul 12

FE

Thanks for that. On one hand I thought someone is hardly likely to come after "littl'ol me", but then firms like Microsoft can be really "hot" on any copywright, or similar, issues.

frybluff 14:41 PM 16 Jul 12

PS It actually let me do a post, without having to log in, yet again. Is problem solved?

hssutton 15:28 PM 16 Jul 12

I've fitted OEMs on several PCs that I've built for family members. Microsoft have even re-activated an OEM on a different PC when I explained the motherboard on the original had developed a fault

HondaMan 16:27 PM 19 Jul 12

Why not? Several companies will happily sell you OEM software with other components. I recall Dabs.com doing it a few years back, in fact I bought a copy of Windows XP Pro for a new-build I was doing

D@ve 19:41 PM 20 Jul 12

I regularly buy OEM versions of Windows when building PCs for family members / friends. Never had any problems with them.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…