Use of contact details (without cost)

hockeyman 20:48 12 Mar 08

The following extract from the Sky PC Anytime which you have to agree to use the Sky Anytime service (programs on PC) means that BSkyB (14.1) is allowed to use your contact details in anyway, without you being allowed to say no without a phone call (14.3) to (A local cost call now but was a national call previously).

Are Sky taking advantage? - (my option YES)
Is this against the law? I would hope so but that's what this post is about.

Privacy and Personal Information

You confirm that any member of the British Sky Broadcasting group may use and share information we hold about you with other companies in the group for market research and the marketing of Sky’s products and services. This may include sending you marketing by email or SMS about Sky Anytime on PC or other similar products and services unless you advise us of your preference not to receive such forms of marketing.

Information held by the British Sky Broadcasting group about you may also be shared with other companies outside the group, including for sales and marketing purposes and for market research on products and services, unless you advise us of your preference not to share such information with such third party companies.

If you have not already told us that you do not want to receive marketing by email or SMS, or us to share information about you with companies outside the British Sky Broadcasting group, then please call Sky Anytime on PC Customer Service on 08442 411 599.

We may from time to time assess your credit standing using credit scoring, and may use information from, and supply information to, outside agencies for this. We will apply reasonable practices for administering your account based on the result of that scoring.

For full terms and conditions see :-
click here

Forum Editor 21:59 12 Mar 08

Well yes, the company is taking advantage of having a huge database of customers' details - in precisely the same way as many other companies. You can easily opt out of the system, just tell SKY that you don't want your information shared in this fashion.

Is this against the law?

No, not as far as I can see.

spuds 11:05 13 Mar 08

Sky have notified you of their procedures,terms and conditions so no law as been broken, and its for the customer to decide if they want to proceed.

Perhaps what is confusing, is the way some companies go about this, either tick or un-tick a box, or notify in writing so your wishes are granted. Most people I guess, never bother to read terms and conditions, hence complaints about junk mail.

techie4me 14:04 13 Mar 08

The datebase that Sky have on their customers is used or sold to other comapnies.
It's widely done across many companies these days.
If you read the small print you do have an option to opt out if you want to.

darrenrichie 14:15 13 Mar 08

The main thing with these type of opt in/out clauses is that you have to make sure that you read what it is saying. Some will say "tick here if you wish to receive...." whereas others say "tick here if you don't wish to receive...."
Data protection says that you can ask for your details to be removed from such lists and they have to do it (with certain exceptions of course).
All sky have done is automatically opt you in unless you tell them you don't want to. It's a ploy but a legal one.

hockeyman 18:45 13 Mar 08

The main problem I had with the terms was that you had to make a call at local rates or write a letter and sent it to be removed, allowing Sky to use my contact details for emails in the mean time Sky had emailed me. As there was not way to either opt in or out during inital sign up process. This is what I was woundering was against the sprit if not the letter of the law

ronalddonald 07:49 03 Jun 08

Did you opt out of the terms?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…