USB video to pc convertor

VNAM75 19:08 20 Oct 10

Has anyone used one of these to convert videos to a pc? Are they reliable and what is the quality like?

Something like this click here is what I'm lookng for but I don't know how well they work.

spuds 23:50 20 Oct 10

I bought one of these from eBay some months ago, because they seemed very popular, but I haven't got around to trying it out yet. Seems straight forward though.

One thing that I have noticed is the varied price range of this item. I paid £4.99 direct from Hong Kong, and have seen others being sold for as much as £20.00 plus. The one I purchased look like a quality product, so I guess most are from the same manufacturer, due to design pattern.

Woolwell 10:41 21 Oct 10

I bought a Dazzle recorder a while back. The quality from VHS is poor and it is not easy to use. We passed the VHS videos to a friend with a standalone VHS/DVD recorder who did the job quickly and with much better results. I can load the DVD's if I want and then edit and burn on to new DVD's.

If you read through a number of threads on this site you will find that most recommend a DVD recorder rather than capture to PC.

bjh 11:42 21 Oct 10

I have bought and used one of the cheap ones, and it worked well. Some people seem to post that they have problems getting it set up, but most of those posts were i) obviously novice and ii) seemed to get sorted (albeit after hassle).

Using a not-powerful PC (AMD 3000 single processor), quality from video was as good as the source. From a good but old video camera, it was excellent. Stills were OK to good when the source was good. The supplied software was adequate (can't remember what it was), but the driver allows pretty much any video software (pinnacle/magix/sony vegas) to grab the capture.

The cheap ones are copies of the Easycap, but many of the posh-priced ones are simply copies too, so I'd suggest going for a cheap one and saving pennies.

I'd certainly go for one and give it a go. Post back if you need help/have problems (and feel free to pm me if you need to... but the supplier I bought from no longer sells them... just checked!)

exprog 12:11 21 Oct 10

I recently purchased an EAsycap from here:-

click here

Works well. winning bid of £5.00 with free postage.

I see that they have one currently offewrered at just over a pound, also with free postage.

Although from Hong Kong delivery was quick.

VNAM75 19:00 21 Oct 10

Thanks everyone. I will get one from ebay. Does the easycap work with windows 7?

bjh 09:53 22 Oct 10

Just plugged it in... didn't autofind driver for video capture (but did for audio...

click here is Easycap forum (you need to register), and I've found some drivers online & downloaded them... this is work computer, and I want to put them on the older "duff" machine, not this one. If they don't work, or are virus-ridden, I'll post back tomorrow.

You might register at the forum & see what they say there!

bjh 12:53 22 Oct 10

There are 32 and 64 bit drivers out there; they install OK on Win 7, are not virus ridden, but I don't have anything to hand to capture from, so can't test them.

I do not know if the disk supplied by various Ebay sellers will have drivers for Win 7 but, if not, they are on the web ... links from the EzCap forum, link in my last post.

VNAM75 02:13 23 Oct 10

OK, I'll look forward to see how it works for you.

VNAM75 16:39 23 Oct 10

exprog, I bought the same one last night, winning bid of £3.89 (incl postage) at 3.30am!

spuds 16:46 23 Oct 10

All that you need to do now, is wait for the item to arrive in about a weeks time, if its from Hong Kong. Good luck with the purchase.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…