USB video convertors

VNAM75 21:53 05 Jul 10

Has anyone tried these and do they work? I want to transfer VHS tapes to a pc or laptop. They're only about £10 which seem very good value.

click here

There are also usb audio convertors on ebay too.

spuds 00:17 06 Jul 10

I bought a usb video captive adapter (converter)the other week via eBay for £3.82, delivered all the way from Hong Kong within a week. Haven't used it yet, but I see no reason why it should not do the job.

The kit consists of the adapter,comprehensive manual in English, plus a o/s EasyCap cd. The whole item looks very robust.

spuds 00:26 06 Jul 10

One thing that might be worth considering, is the location of the usb socket on the computer and the video recorder you intend using. The leads on the device are only about 6/7 inches long, so an extension set of leads will most likely be required. These are easily available via Hong Kong at a very cheap price, usually from the same sellers.

VNAM75 00:55 06 Jul 10

I don't know how they make any money out of £3.82 if it includes postage too. I think using a laptop will be the easiest way if the leads are short. Some of the kits include a usb lead; not sure if its an extension.

spuds 09:23 06 Jul 10

Thinking about the usb lead would be a better way of using the device, never thought of that. Would save on all that extra cabling and plugs, and problem solving ;o)

I tend to find that some of the Hong Kong items advertised on eBay might come from the same supplier who uses various names, with slightly different advertising methods.The particular seller that I purchased my unit from had quite a number for sale, with bidding and wins ranging from £3.04 to £8,00+. All the sales started from 99p with free delivery. The particular store I obtained the device from, went under the name of wanghaostore.

Hope this helps!.

bjh 10:25 06 Jul 10

I've used one of these and mine worked fine. Converted a couple of dozen family video tapes. Software was OK (not sure if it will be Win 7 compatible...), but I used Pinnacle and Magix stuff anyway. Leads are long enough for most equipment.... if you do use a USB extension cable, use a reasonably good one...

Mine got fairly warm, but did the job 100% OK. There are threads on some fora that say theirs didn't work, so it may be luck of the draw. Some of the complainants seem to have just not tried/done it right though, so I wouldn't necessarily be put off.

At the price they are being sold, it's worth a shot in any case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009