USB freeview TV tuner

Kate B 14:52 09 Feb 07

Anybody got any recommendations? Just one tuner is fine. I don't have a spare PCI slot so it has to be a USB one.

thanks in advance

VoG II 15:15 09 Feb 07

I have on of these click here

You really need a decent aerial - the one supplied isn't very good (understatement).

sean-278262 15:20 09 Feb 07

With VoG on the aerial as I have a similar one and it is also rubbish in the reception terms. I used it and it found 1 channel, then used one gained from a poundshop and it found 3.

VoG on this topic what aerial did you use? Mine isnt the best and I would like to get a new one.

IClaudio 16:31 09 Feb 07

and, yes, definitely have a good aerial! I happened to have an external socket free, next to the computer, and that works fine.

Kate B 16:36 09 Feb 07

I can probably plug it into the roof aerial so long as I can cope with a bit of trailing cable, but any other recommendations?

Stuartli 16:54 09 Feb 07

This may help:

click here

howard64 17:35 09 Feb 07

I had one of these but had to plug it into the main house aerial which has one of the very clever modern amplifiers. It was 95% wonderful but some times you could not get ITV1 or channel 4 but all others were fine.

Phphred 21:50 09 Feb 07
  v1asco 22:04 09 Feb 07

click here

Have used this around the UK and continent. Very good.The small aerial with it is just sufficient near a window, however I bought a bigger one from argos click here

It increased my reception and I can now lie in bed 30 miles off the coast watching TV in some parts. Also fairly unobtrusive.

Never really tried the analogue side of it as I've found digital nearly always better.

The software is not brilliant but I can one touch record, and sometimes get the timer working. Think this is operator error mainly. Has a neat function that turns my laptop on for recording and off when finished.

Overall, very satisfied. I had a Twinhan vision plus previously. Not so good. Its linked to my desktop now but using small whip aerial only picked up BBC1 BBC2 and a few minor stations.

Hope this helps.

Stuartli 01:36 10 Feb 07

I have a Twinhan DTB-ter D+A which picks up all 90+ TV and radio stations from Winter Hill - it's also HD compatible.

Main problem is too much signal strength, especially on the ITV related MUX, which uses 64QAM rather than 16QAM transmissions favoured by the BBC and others.

Stuartli 10:34 10 Feb 07

Should explain last paragraph a bit more - because I use an aerial amplifier linked to the main outside TV aerial, the signal strength can be too strong on some channels.

This can cause freezing of the picture or crackling sound, even though the aerial amplifier's boost level is set at the minimum of +3dB.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple